Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grease zerk on bushing bolt is too friendly with header collector

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 79Beast, Apr 11, 2002.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

This question is mainly for Stephen....sorry buddy...I know the workload is hell. I just bought the parts from you to upgrade my shackles from non-greaseable to greaseable. I have aftermarket (Flowtech) headers on my 79 K10 one ton. I'm sure that I'm not the only one with tight shackle bolt-to-header collecter clearance. I'm gonna have to put my bolts in from the outside and cut off everything but one thread sticking out of the nut. Why couldn't the zerk be on the threaded end?

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If I'm understanding this right, can't you just pull the bolt out and turn it around.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is what I had to do on my HD extended front shackles. I have true dual exhaust, and the top shackle bolt wouldn't come out because it hit the exhaust pipe. I had to loosen the exhaust pipe, and then cut the factory bolt out in pieces with an angle grinder. When I installed the shackle bolts I installed them from the other side. This way I wouldn't have to mess with the exhaust to get the bolts in or to grease them.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I will turn them around....that is have the threads toward the collector and head (with the zerk) facing out to facilitate greasing. I would prefer if the zerk was on the threaded side so the I could put the bolt head toward the collector for maximum clearance.

5. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

To fit the shift linkage for the 4L60E I had to cut the extra threads off of the bolt on the shackle, this didn't cause any problems with the greasable bolt. It is now flush with the nut. If you put the zerk in the threaded end you couldn't cut off the extra bolt length. If you stick the bolt in the other direction you would gain a little clearance as the bolt head is thinner than the nut but I'd rather have the option of cutting off the extra bolt lenght.

Hope this helps
    Mike

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Yes, I can turn the bolt around. That is what I will have to do. I would prefer that the zerk be on the threaded side to that I can put the thin bolt head near my collector and leave the threaded end poking out. I have plenty of clearance for it to poke out away from the engine, so I would only have to install it and ride. It seems to me that most everyone else would have similar situations.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Agreed... my stock bolts have clearance issues with the headers... I was wondering how they would fit! Guess I'll be buying a new blade for the sawzall when I do that install! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would recommend something like a cutoff wheel. You want a clean cut and remember that the bolts are hardened. I plan to use a cutoff wheel on my Milwaukee angle grinder.

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe its time to finally break down and buy an angle grinder. I have just been having too much fun with the 11 amp Dewalt sawzall! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Those hardened bolts do tend to chew up the blades pretty fast though! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

-Dan

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Only problem I see is that you would have to drill a bit deeper which is always more difficult and you're drilling a hole in the part of the bolt with the smallest cross section so it would be pretty weak.
    Cutting off the excess thead is about the best you can do. My headers became a slightly different shape due to application of the torch and hammer.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Thanks buddy. I see your point and my headers may well see my torch and beating hammer. I think that having the zerk on the threaded side would be easier,but I can definately where the current design came from.

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I used to borrow one from 72 THING all the time. I finally bought one. I would highly suggest if you do, to buy the same one I bought. Three of us have one around here now (out off all my buds) and we all love it. It a Milwaukee 4 1/2" angle grinder (mine came from Home Depot) with the 8 amp motor. It's a hoss. Don't buy a cheap one. I even filled the gearbox on mine with Synthetic gear dope after all the factory grease slung off the ring and pinion.