Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grease

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pomai, Mar 9, 2005.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is a good type of grease to use for packing wheel bearings on a Dana 60 front end? The grease used in the photos on pirate appear to be green or tiel in color. Any body know what type of grease that is? Thanks Ed

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Blue-green colored grease is usually Marine grease. It is alot more water resistent then standard wheelbearing grease. It is what I run in my truck for my wheelbearings. The only problem with it may be that the stuff I can find does not say it is for disc brake applications. It is mostly for boat trailer wheel bearings which I don't believe creates the heat of disc brakes.

The only thing I can see that happens to it is it brakes down faster then normal wheel bearing grease so you have to repack your wheel bearings more often. I went about 10 months on my last repack and it was about due to get a repack. With normal grease it may last longer.

Marine grease along with good seals is a great way to keep water out of your bearings and hubs. I did a couple river crossings in January that had water coming in my doors and I had VERY little contamination from water in my locking hubs and wheelbearings.

Harley

3. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thank your very much, Ed

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Any particular kind of marine grease? And where's the best place to find it, boat store, online?

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It depends on how you want it. Alot of auto parts stores sell it in the big tube for grease guns, but for doing wheelbearing I like to get it in the can. It is harder to find in the can then the grease gun tube.

Sometimes I can find it at Napa in the can and sometimes Ace Hardware has it in the can in there automotive/trailer section. Just gotta look around a little to find it.

Harley