Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grease

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 1, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Is the type of grease I use for the chassis and driveshaft grease fitting very sensitve???? I don't want to use the wrong type.. the kind of grease that is in our grease gun now is purple, daddy said it's slick 50.... what all is this good for greasing???

What all do I need to grease????????????

I'm just trying to cover all the maintence that was neglected for years on my new truck........ I found ATF in the 203 today :doah: !! I don't think the previous owners had it all together....

anyway, sorry for the A.D.D.................... any tips of greasing would be wonderful.. :D

2. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

I believe as long as it is "N.L.G.I. 2" you should be good to go, as this is the standard for most auto bearing, chassis, and u-joints.
    there are as many opinions about this as there are products, some may work better than others, some may suck, but new is always better than old, use it and if you find a grease you like better, you can always just start using it as most that meet this standard are compatiable, because they share the same base chemicals.
    the drop point is one variable for grease the red grease i use is like 510*, if you can look at the tube or even a new tube at the store, all this info should be listed on the package.

oh yeah grease everything with a zerk fitting, u-joints, slip joints, ball joints, control arm bushings, steering linkage, clutch pedal linkage, if it hasnt been done in a while, even repack your wheel bearings. any thing that pivots, rotates or moves usually has some kind of lube, but if it has a zerk nlgi 2 grease should work

3. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Grease and ATF

That grease should work just fine for whatever your greasing. And NP203's DO run ATF in them, not oil.

4. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

what does the NLGI mean ?

the grease that i use is Castrol NLGI 2,5 . hope it is good stuff....

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

:eek1: ATF in 203? Wow I've been runing gear old in there for 7 years. It still runs. Should I change that?

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Np203????

A FULL TIME NP203 uses 10W-40 motor oil!!--NOT ATF,or 80W90 Gear oil!...its the only case that uses motor oil out of all the ones GM used!...I've seen many that had gear oil or ATF in them though,and can't say it ruined them...

You might want to be sure the tranny isn't leaking ATF into the tranfer case due to bad seals-(assumming its an automatic!)....good luck!

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

No my tranny leaks on the ground only. :D The k5 is like a tea bag. Everything leaks. The neighbours hate me when I park in front of there house. hehe. Maybe I should changed the fluid in there.

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

:haha:

9. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

WOW! That's news to me! (NP203)

My Chilton and Haynes books BOTH say to put ATF in my transfer case, BUT, (and this is a big "BUT"), I dragged my owners manual out of my 79 Jimmy, and sure enough, in section 5, page 12, it says to use 80W-90 GL-5 gear lube for conventional 4wd, and 10W-30 or 40 for full time. I stand corrected. And I have some work to do tomorrow. :bow: :doah:

10. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

I bought this multi purpose grease that says it is for all different uses.. and it specifically said wheel bearings on it. But then later I saw in my Haynes manual that you aren't supposed to use multi purpose grease on your wheel bearings.. it says to only use high speed bearing grease..