Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greaseable vs Nongrease Shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Does greaseable shackles really add any flex to the front suspension? I already have the ORD 1/2" greaseable fronts but I am thinking about going to 9/16" nongrease up front for strength (can't find 9/16" greaseables for less then $10 a bolt).

Is the greaseable worth it? Does it add flex? Does it help ride? Anybody know where to get 9/16" greaseable bolts for a reasonable price? Thanks

Harley

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just grease the bushings really well before I install them. I'm sure you could get just an extra bit of flex by being able to pump grease in at any time, but I'm not too crazy about the material removed from the bolt by drilling it for the grease passage.

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

For someone that hasn't wheeled since the late 80's you sure do worry a lot about breakage. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    The newer style of greasable bolts are grade 8 along with their new hardened bushings so I think you should be OK, I have the older style bushings with greasable bolts and have yet to break any (over two years). Would a 4" bolt be stronger, hell yeah, is it needed, umm prolly not.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally think that even if it doesn't add flex it's a good thing to know that 5 years down the road your bolts won't be seized in.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Bwaaahaahaaa! I've done lots of wheeling, just not in the K5. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It take a lot longer than 5 years to sieze a bolt in AZ. As far as strength goes, I think the greasable are plenty in a 9/16 (but $$). Just go over to 6 points and ask to see the book. Compare the numbers between 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, and 9/16 greasable. I think you will be suprised at how much a 1/16 of an inch can change the strength.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am about ready to convert my front shackles to 9/16" bolts so that I only have one size spare to carry (and because the 7/16" bolts are way small). I am going to make mine greasable by putting a zerk in the spring right near where it comes back on it's self (at the very end of the leaf where there is no stress). This way I don't have to worry about having to buy drilled bolts and I can also use fine thread (what you should use!). All the drilled bolts I have seen are corse thread and break at the thread root because of improper loading (don't let the shackle ride on the threads!!!).