Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greasing the CV joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

OK.........I took a real good look two nights ago when I was under the truck doing an oil change. Apparently, you can grease the CV joint in front of a 208 by sticking a greasing needle into a fitting in the joint somewhere. I looked really close and found what *MIGHT* be a grease point, but there was no way in he!! I could position the needle to grease this point, if that is in fact what it was.

Can someone PLEASE clear this up for me? Maybe someone has a pic that can show me where the grease point is......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

2. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i dont have a 208 but the 203 has a CV front shaft. the u-joints take grease just like any other. i had to buy the flex hose tip for the grease gun, just rotate the d-shaft around until you can get to it. maybe help to clean it up and put some light on it. :)

MTPockets

MAD MAX: http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also you might need a special tip for your grease gun. The tip is alot smaller at the tip then a normal one.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

4. Can Can

From what I've been told, the joints themseilves dont get the grease, but the unit that holds them together(the Cardon? joint) get the grease. Does that make sense?

5. Can Can

Wayne- that's why I got ahold of a grease needle. Someone here(I think it might have been the Grimster) told me the only way to grease it was with a grease needle......

6. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Just happen to have a spare brand new one (centre bits for CV on 73 K5 203 to 44) sitting in the garage.... there are two grease points on the thing, 90 deg apart (to make it easier to get too I suppose), they look like the top of a rivet with a large dish in the centre, approx 8mm dia...there is a very small spring loaded ball in the centre of each. BTW until I saw your post I would never have thought they were grease points, very unusual little items for tight spaces.
    Sounds like you already sussed out the problem but if you still want pics, can send some in 2 days.

7. Can Can

Thanks, Aussie!!!!! If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would really like a pic of what it looks like out of the truck. Maybe that way I could see what I'm up against and make a better plan of attack........

The dish/rivet thing is what I thought I might be looking for.

Thanks again, brother!!!!!![​IMG]

8. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

No sweat..glad to help out. I'll send you some pics when I'm at work Thursday morning (its Tuesday afternoon for me now). :-)

How the hell do you guys do those cool little faces????

9. Can Can

You mean these -[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]?

Click on the "FAQ" link.......scroll down and you'll find a list of emotions that you surround in [ ].........

It's simple and helps convey your message better sometimes.

It's midnight here so I'm off to bed. Thanks again, bro!!!!

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Go to your nearest Jiffy Lube(or any other proffesinal grease outfit), they have the tools to lube the cv-joint
    in the vehicle, tip the tech, chat and find the source/part number. If you have heard of Linkcon(sp) grease guns
    they show the tools in their catologs.

11. Can Can

Hey GUYS.......Executioner just helped me!!!!! Look, he's a good boy now!!!! j/k brother..........thanks for the tip.[​IMG]