Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greasing U-Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Nov 23, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

How long does the grease last in a U-Joint before it burns away? When should I regrease them?

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

lube it with your oil changes. Also if you get in deep mud or watter it's not a bad idea to go through and give the truck a lube to displace any water that may have made it past the seals that also goes for ball joints and tierods

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a question regarding aftermarket front u-joints. I recently replaced mine(they are supposed to be greasable), but upon closer inspection last oil change, I can't see a grease nipple. There is, however, a little plug on the body of the u-joint that looks like it might spin out to allow for a grease nipple to be threaded into the u-joint. Is this how it's done? Any tricks to removing the plug?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If they are like mine you need a 'needle' adaptor for your grease gun. Its just a real low profile grease fitting with a spring loaded ball in the center, the needle adpator depresses the ball and allows grease to be pumped in.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I used to use greasable ujoints, but now I only use the non-greasable kind.
    No problems...
    -- Mike

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

My truck came with a sealed unit in the back near the differential and a greasable one near output shaft. Had them replaced and was unable to get a fitting on the back u-joint unless I took it out! The dealer wanted something crazy like $60.00 for the sealed replacement. Found agood after market that was sealed and have been running it for about 3 years.

7. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

the plug type is a cheap u joint (gmb- precesion ) something like that- they don't even put in a zet - what a bunch of cheep skates- i prefer the non greasable too mike - they last sooooo many miles 80,000 - 130,000 even in water etc- they are sealed so well nothing gets in or out- and to say for the balance of your shaft there is no end play found in some types of aftermarket joints - hope this helps-jess

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks drivelineman, I was wondering about that. Do you recommend a brand of sealed u-joints? How about part #? Thanks.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

9. drivelineman

well- the 1310 series joint for early style 66-75 blazer is 5-625x and the one ton 5-626x but unfortuatly late modle chevy76 up was 3r -inside clips 1/2 ton modles-there was not this type of oem joint available from spicer that i have seen- so use a 2-3011 neapco -its the same - exactly as a 5-3147x now- spicer is using the exact same body joints as neapco-jess

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

So for a stock 87 auto I'd use a Neapco 2-3011? Where can I get these? Thanks.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. drivelineman

you can get them at almost any driveline shop- ask for the clips that are .003 thinner too- they sometimes run tight- i have a surface grinder so i make my own- good luck- jess

[​IMG]

12. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Whatever you buy, make sure it is not a Napa greaseable joint. Just prior to the labor day Moab run I replaced both of my fronts and both of my buddies front axle joints. Three were greasable and one was not. All three greaseable joints failed during the course of the weekend. The only one left standing was the non greaseable type, and surely this cant have anything to do with my driving habits LOL

13. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Just buy them from <font color=red>drivelineman</font color=red>, jarheadk5. I'm sure he would be happy to set you up.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com