Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Great CRATE??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by high&liftedup, Dec 7, 2001.

1. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

Hi all... Looks like I may HAVE to install a new motor..from a cost anaysis.. this makes sense...Question is: Does the Gm crate stock motor for my 76 K5 have enough torque for med. wheeling??? (ie: mud/snow/Pismo/)

GM specs are:

Engine Name: 350 LM1
    Horsepower: 249 HP @ 5,000 RPM RPM
    Torque: 304 Ft/Lbs @ 3,500 RPM
    Compression Ratio: 8.50 to 1
    Block: 4 – Bolt, 2 Piece Rear Seal, 4.000” Bore
    Crankshaft: Cast Nodular 3.480” Stroke
    Heads: Cast Iron, 72cc
    Valves: 1.940” / 1.600”
    Camshaft lift: 0.390” / 0.410” Hydraulic
    Duration @ 0.050”: 195° / 202°
    Intake: Not Included

(I have headers, MSD, Edelbrock) I talked to a engine builder today and he suggested a new comp cam. and that the "stock" cam would not be sufficient. ( I want to try & keep the $$$ down a bit...)
    Thanks & Merry CHRISTmas............

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had the stock GM crate. It was alot better then my 305. A new cam in it would help alot, but probably void the warranty. I had problems with my stock crate though. It lost to oil seals for the rear two drivers side pistons with under 15K. They tried to screw me on the warranty. They told me a PCV valve went bad and charcoal got into the cylinders and scratched the walls and that it wasn't covered under warranty. When they told my Dad that he got pissed and raised a huge stink. They gave us a new motor, and my Dad had them put in the 300HP. I don't really know if they put the 300HP in though. It doesn't have the nice chrome valve covers, etc. But it does have more power then the stock crate did so I don't care. Personally for the type of terrain you said your going to wheel I would want the 300HP which is now the 330HP motor. thats MHO

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. Hossbaby50

I forgot. The new crate has been in there for 25-30K with no problems. The first one might have been just bad luck.

4. high&liftedup

Your right about the warranty...!!!.. As far Horse power... not to worried bout that as much as torque....( although one is derived from the other)... Im glad your new crate is working good....Did they pay install charges??

5. Hossbaby50

My dad paid $500 for the upgrade to the 300HP, and they installed it and we didn't pay a dime for the install. If you are on a tight budget, the stock crate with the cam, and the MSD, etc should do the trick for you. After my warranty on this one is up I want to add a cam and some vortec heads. That would make my truck scream.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have had the 349 hp on in my Jimmy for 30k with no problems. I has enough power to get it moving. I have beat quite a few TBI trucks in it and I can easily beat honda Si in it. I have everything stock in it except my motor was the 9.2 to 1 compression crate motor.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

On a tight budget I'd get the stock crate 350 and add a comp cams 260 HE or a similar grind. Comp makes several cams that turn the 350 into a real low end torque motor. The cam kits are inexpensive too...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Voids warranty though. If you want to put a cam in one, just find a good engine builder and have him build you one.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. stickshooter

stickshooter Registered Member

I'm debating the same thing, replace my 305 with something. This begs the question though, is it better to have your motor rebuilt to your specs or put in a crate motor? I don't intend to do much serious wheeling in mine, it's for my road trip, hunting trips that I take every year. My local engine rebuild shop will only give a 90 day warranty on an engine rebuild in a 4wd though so I'm kind of steering away from the rebuild job.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a stock crate in the Lady's 79. Wonderfull engine. Other than her putting crap gas in it and doing in the plugs I have never had a problem with it. Runs great. Uses about 1/4 quart between oil changes. smooth as silk when it has good plugs. Plenty of power. The stock crate makes more power than most of the base engines that were in the trucks pre FI did. Her truck has 3.73 gears and 31's and love leaving ricers at the lights.
    For $1300 you would be hard pressed to find a better motor or rebuild one. That's DIRT cheap for a new motor with a 50k warranty.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Is that the targetmaster engine?
    if so the advertised compression is optimistic
    one of the chev magasines did a series on it, I have that engine and kept up on the series.
    they measured the CR as closer to 7.5:1

since i read that, those mini blowers look like a great idea spinning up around 10psi.

oh I forgot every piece of this engine is
    HENCHO EN MEXICO

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 77chev on 12/08/01 10:29 AM.</FONT></P>

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

It is the target master eng. but it's been called the "Good Wrench" motor now for several years.(Marketing thing).
    The engines do say Mexico on them but GM stands behind them for 3 year's or 50,000 miles. I can say first hand that I have seen very few engine failures do to faulty product.
    Usually abuse or neglect.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

13. Parf

Parf Registered Member

A GM crate motor is good and all, but expensive.

I bought my longblock rebuilt 350 from Checker, for $610.00. (ask for the '83 C10 350) A good rebuild is the way to go. You get a nice seasoned block, at a tremendous price with a good waranty. Great low end torque. An RV cam would get you even more. Just make sure to braze the oil pump pickup on, and life is good.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the short block, and a set of GM Performance Vortech heads for another $400.00, for a grand total of around $800.00. Then we're talking POWER!

14. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i have run mine since 1992, only ran it out of oil once

15. high&liftedup

Great info.... This truck, Im looking for super-dependability, enough power to get some fun in mud/snow/sand..... I really dont want to void the warranty by installing a new cam...also, since my 76K5 was originally a 400ci, GM will only warranty 12/12K miles :(... But the price is still great.. As far as power, I will put on my 35" BFG mudders for the winter and I have 4:11s in the rear..I will probably axe my Edelbrock performer for a Q jet...Also, I believe with the MSD, Headers/flows, K&amp;N.. It should be enough (??)

Thanks all......................

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What does the old engine have to do with the length of warranty on the new one? Something's fishy! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

17. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

GM will only warrnt their crate engines if they are an exact replacement for the factory engine. I am planning to drop this same crate into my Jimmy. But, since it has a 305 in it, they say they won't warrant it. I am getting mine from Scoggin-Dickey. They said that I could deal with warranty issues through them and they could probably even get a dealer to work with me if I needed. But, they also said they see VERY FEW problems with these motors ever that would qualify as warranty stuff anyway.

I have decided to just swap in a new cam to start and to hell with the warranty. I would trust a GM crate with no warranty over a rebuilt from a shop I don't really know offreeing only a 90 day one or none at all.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

18. Hossbaby50

When my Dad replaced the stock 305 with a GM crate 350 they gave me the 3yr/36 or 50K(don't remember which) warranty. Its a good thing too. The stock crae motor lost 2 oil seals on the rear 2 drivers side cylinders at 15K. They even knew we were upgrading from 305 to 350 because we bought a new flywheel, and a couple other things that you need to do the swap, beside the fact that we told them we were upgrading too. Sounds like a load of BS to me.

Oh ya, they did honor the warranty, but they tried to blame the motor failure on us, and that was a wrong move. They pissed of a 6'2" 320lb man that doesn't like being called a moron. They must of thought he was a total engine moron with the excuse they tried to give him about why the motor failed and why it wasn't covered under warranty.

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah some of those rebuilt engines are just not right. That's what I had to replace. with 70k on it the oil pressure was going to hell and it blew a head gasket (water never go in the oil). WHen I was pulling the head off I found out why the head gasket blew as a snapped a 1/2 drive 3 inch extension in half trying to ge a head bolt loose. Got in the bottom end of the motor and thrus washe was so far out the crank was walking. I just put it backtogether drove it for a while and located this used Crate (10k on it) complete with carb, alt and power steering pump for $850 [​IMG] then I sold the carb for $100. It was one of those electric versions.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

20. high&liftedup

Here's another ???.. Anyone out there have experience on the HT 383 Truck Crate engine from GM...Its going for $3895.00 and has ~414 ft ibs @3500rpm.....