Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GREAT NEWS - I gotta buy a chainsaw!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, May 15, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Well, lads, I am now the proud owner of a 5 acre parcel of rec. property in British Columbia. It's located about 25 minutes from Cranbrook and boasts a lovely 180' view of the Rockies. It's also about 5 minutes from our favorite holiday spot - Wasa Lake, which is probably the warmest mountain lake you'll ever swim in.

Anyhow, I have a little bit of claering to do and need a half-arsed good quality chainsaw. I know that Husquavarna and Stihl are good brands, but had anybody had any luck with other makes out there? What about model numbers?? Keep in mind I just droppped a good chunk of change on this property so I don't wanna spend $1000 on a saw......

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Cant help ya on the chain saw.....but I am jealous!

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

who needs a chainsaw, hook a chain to the Blazer,LMAO
    Congrats on the purchase brother/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

living in cold north dakota, i cut alot of wood. i have used many saw's and of course like everyone else i didn't want to pay much for a saw. then my dad let me use his stihl. i now own 3 of them and will not buy anything else. the money you pay for it is worth it. take care of it and it will never fail. don't know how big you want but the 028 and 029 model's are good with 18" or 20" bar's. i know you could get a new one here for around 350.00 to 450.00..

dave

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Congrats!!

I just chewed up a chain on a craftsman a couple weeks ago stupidly cutting some roots too close to dirt, but other than that, it was a pretty stout saw for being like 10 years old.
    I was checking them out last week in Home Depot, and they had a couple for under $200 that looked ok. They had some electric ones too, which I thought was kinda wierd, but they were the same horsepower as a gas one.

I don't really know squat about chainsaws, and I need to get a better one, so I'll be watching this thread with ya.

Have fun with it! I spent my time taking down a tree next to the house, the garage, the nieghbor's fence and truck, with only one direction to let her fall. I think it's be pretty cool to have land to let it fall on! Less cutting up high for me...

BTW, chain to the blazer is a great idea, just don't ask my lawn how much it liked it...

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Way to go, Paul !!!!! That must feel great ! Send some pics of the veiws when ya get some !

7. Can Can

Thanks for sharing in my joy, brothers!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Captain Chaos - I looked on the Stihl website and couldn't find the 028 or 029 models. They may not be available in Canada or may just have another # assigned to them.

Kev, I do have some pics but they were more for reference than for showing off/forums/images/icons/wink.gif. I'll get some good pics in the next month and post 'em for you to see.

Ratch got me thinking.......Craftsman hand tools are top-notch. Could I expect the same from their chainsaws? I've never gone wrong with Sears tools.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> That would be great !! I'm real happy for you !

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If you want quality get a Stihl or Husky. I feel the Stihl is the upper one of the two. Another good one is a Sach Dolmar its german made but they aren't as pouler in N.America most of the U.S. ones are now built in Mexico or they are just pore quality. The Japanese saws are actually pretty good I would go with a Shindawa If I were to buy a Japanese saw.
    The main thing you want with a chain saw is for it to have a vertical piston which will have better cooling and you want it to be piston ported not reed ported.
    I used to be a small engine mechanic and was a Stihl and Husquevarna certified. Even though that was like 14 years ago.

10. Can Can

Thanks for the good info, Corey!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Stihl has a sale on right now, and one of the saws I looked at the other day is around $125 off the regualr price. There's was a Husky I liked but it was about $200 more.........

I'll take another look tomorrow and may get ahold of you if I need more info. Thanks again.......

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Buy a Stilhl. You'll be glad you did. I have three of their saws, one commerical trimmer and one commerical blower. They are the best out there. I have used other brands and they just dont compare.

My .02,
    John

12. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I have a craftsman lawnmower that came with the house I bought. I figured it would only last me a little bit, because it is a little old. But, that sucker just wont quit!

Ken H.