Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Green Day, and punk music

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jul 5, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sick of them.

When did "punk rock" turn from being about nothing at all to every wannabe punk band having to be all political??

I also hate people who throw out little bits of British culture cause they think its cool, note Green Day's present single "Holiday", ITS ****ING VACATION!!

The guy I bought my Satan from did that, he called the trunk the "boot" and random other little completely unnatural sound British phrases, made me want to punch him. Yes I anger that easily...

Rant off for now.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I wish my life was so simple that I could waste my energy getting angry about stupid things all the time..........:surepal:

Someday, lad, someday.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I see the good in everything, that's why I'm always happy

CAN CAN DOESN;T CALL ME HE MUST HATTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEE ME

4. Can Can

If you're gonna be around I'll try to call after I get the girls to bed. That is, if you're not too busy galavanting around with models and such.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, picture a 26 year old fat guy who lives at home with his parents, pony tail, has an obscure name for everyone and everything(my car was named "the Flying Dutchman"), uses random british phrases, relates things to books hes read, relates things to movies(I'm certain this guy is a HUGE star trek fan), and loves to tell everyone how he went to school to be an archeologist but is just working in a warehouse, but still calls himself an archeologist(nonstop). Now spend a few hours with him....

6. Can Can

If you think some fat nerd annoys you bad enough to warrant a shot in the chops, spend a few hours after midnight with a teething baby- you'll realize that in the grand scheme of things Mr. Ponytail's bad habits are nothing worth getting upset about. And using "holiday" instead of "vacation" in a song is equally harmless.

Regardless, it's unhealthy to be so damn negative all the time. Cheer up....

7. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

To stay on topic: Green Day is not punk rock

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What do you consider them? I think they are "modern punk".

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Are you calling it that on purpose? First time I saw it I thought it was just a typo, now I'm thinking that's what you call it...

Isn't Green day the only band that sings with an english accent? Like how when anyone with an accent sings (british, aussie), they lose the accent and sound north american, but when Green day sings, they're the only band to sound british...

10. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The problem with greenday is that they went from a true punk band back in the early 90's to a bunch of 30yr olds who now wear makeup and joined the bandwagon bashing bush. Dookie was a good album but this new stuff.....

I'd almost consider them pop-rock now. I don't listen to punk because I don't like it but I can say Greenday has no part of it.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

A few years back, I was part of the crew that built a recording studio in Billie Joe's basement. Talking to him, he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders. Still owned his first car, 62 Fairlane primer black, plus a chop top 49 or 50 Merc. Hios wife drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee. He had just bought an english bulldog pup to grow up with his son. I don't know if he still lives in Albany(suburb of Oakland), but is was a cool old house. We got to listen to the band jam unplugged while we worked on the studio.

12. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have never heard anything by green day at any time in their recording career that I would call punk.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Punk is attitude , not high school kids in the burbs with tats and piercings . It is so mainstream now that its soul is lost .

Listen to Mike Ness's take on it on the intro to Prison Bound of the Live at the Roxy album :D

" You couldn't walk into a mall and get your little %^%^^ pierced , or your Doc Marten boots or your crazy color for your hair "

Black Flag is Punk , Green Day is POP .

But it doesn't really matter anyway , I got to go to work tommorrow whether Punk is Punk anymore :wink1:

just playin' , in a good mood now :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  14. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

DK !!
    Greenday Sucks Donkey Peni

15. Resurrection_Joe

Rarh Rahr Negative Negative Whine I Focus On Things I Don't Like Instead Of Enjoying Life And The Things I Do Like, Marginalizing Othere's Joys When They Do Not Run Parallel To My Own

Yahooty

16. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I like Green Day but wouldn't categorize them as punk. I guess Pop-Punk would be about right. Now, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, Fugazi, Propagandai....that's some real punk ****e right there.

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you know, there are lots of things I like, and make posts about, but if every post on here was about something we liked, there would be little or no discussion now would there?

Is it so wrong to not like Green Day since they call themselves "punk" and have just turned into makeup wearing old men in tight pants?

And you comment on things you don't like CONSTANTLY, this being a prime example.

18. Resurrection_Joe

Well, I didn't think I did it so hatefully, though I really can't remember the last time I complained

It wasn't meant for you anyway, it was meant for the donkey cock one

Usually when I complain it's fundamentally unjust things, or so I think. If I sound arrogant, I truly think more of the person I'm "complaining" about

Yeah, Greenday isn't punk, but they're not too bad sounding

As for British slang, eh...... if Amerca didn't adopt foreign custom and such we'd have no pizza, and I'm sure you love pizza

Anyway, I'm just saying "I think Greenday has abandoned any punk roots they had to adopt a more streamlined pop sensibility and general blandness for easy consumption by the majority of music listeniners these days. Their increasing annoying habit of adopting British slang is what I think is a cheap move for "punk credit". It seems rediculous to me" sounds a bit more couth, if you will.

ANYWAY, you're still a cool dude, no hard feelings, I know I'm annoying at times, but I do have good intentions....

....which aparrently pave the road to hell

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

alright, damn you and your always calming me down about crap :D

I just wasn't raised in a "couth" way, you know? Something pisses me off, thats it, it pisses me off. You have to learn to interperet me. When I say I "hate" something, I more then likely have a very mild dislike for it and would just rather not explain all my thoughts on it, hate sums it up. I know, it is pretty ignorant to use the word hate as much as I do but thats me.

20. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

<<When I say I "hate" something, I more then likely have a very mild dislike for it and would just rather not explain all my thoughts on it, hate sums it up. I know, it is pretty ignorant to use the word hate as much as I do but thats me.>>>

Hate is a good word to use.. it carries with it a certain enthusiasm. To me, it's a worse sin to be indifferent than negative. I can deal with negative.

Tom