Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Green wire to 700r4 on my 83?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Can Can, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yes, that's right. I found a single green wire that connects to the top of the driver's side of my 700r4 while I was poking around under the truck last night.

Is this the governor?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

no the governer is near the rear of the tranny under a steel cover on the driver side /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif if it is to the conector that is for lockup, but there should be 3 wires, red, green and something else can't remember right now, never messed with a diesel tranny

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That must be the "self-destruct" wire GM installed with every 700R-4 built.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That must be the "self-destruct" wire GM installed with every 700R-4 built.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to have to agree with tRustyK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Can Can

Very funny, [darn]!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Does anybody feel like trying to answer the question? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

That green wire to the top drivers side of your 700r4 should have a red wire with it, and yes, it is to control the lockup/unlock of the torque converter. If you follow that wire up into the engine bay, you should find a connector, and the wires go from there through the firewall to a relay and a switch on the brake pedal. Supposedly, when you step on the brake, it should kick down out of overdrive.

7. Can Can

Thanks for the reply, Fred. And seeing that your reply to me was your 1st post, let me be the first to welcome you to CK5!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'll have to take a closer look, but I'm pretty sure that the green wire is solo. FWIW, my converter lockup works as it should.