Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greenhorn on radios

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by olskool, Mar 2, 2006.

1. olskool

olskool 1/2 ton status

Would you please let me know what to look for and what not to look for in a CB radio? My wife and I are driving about 3,000 miles together but in seperate vehicles (I'm transfering in the military). I want to have coms between the two of us on the trip, but I also want to be able to have the best cb that I can afford in the K5 after the trip. Please help me out on what I should buy.

2. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Personally, my Mom and Dad opted for the "3 mile range" Motarola 2 way radios. They drove from So-Cal to Mississippi. No regrets.

3. olskool

olskool 1/2 ton status

I really didn't mention that I want a fixed radio in my rig and a handheld with my wife. Are the cheap new "Cobras" as good as the old used stuff for the same price if not more? At least in my truck I want somthing that will last for awile, please advise me if something at walmart will work as well as something from another source.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Don't waste your money on a hand held. I personally like the 10 meter radios converted for 11 meter (CB). I personally run a President Lincoln 10 meter radio converted to 11 meter. [​IMG] Now for a cheaper radio in the other vehicle, in all honesty, most CB shops have used radio equipment for sale. If there is a CB shop at a local truck stop, I'd check with them.

5. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

If you really want a quite channel all to yourself, the little FRS radios are pretty good out in the rural areas. Only problem is that you will go through lots of batteries on a long trip. Range is just under a mile car-to-car.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's what upper and lower sideband if for. Even if you only have 11 meter, you can always use sideband of one of the unused channels. Now with the export radios like I like, then you even have the alpha channels if you want a private convo. Or with my President Lincoln, you can slide in between channels.

7. trukker

trukker 1/2 ton status

Uniden pro 510 is good as it gets for simplicity ,value and reliability. You might want to get an external speaker though. Because the internal speaker is hard to understand when talking to someone with a loud radio or a lot of echo.

8. olskool

olskool 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm not in need of anything high tech so what do you think about a brand new "Cobra 19 ultra" that I saw on Ebay for $10. Is it worth it?

9. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Hard to complain about $10. The cobra 19 is a "no frills" cb but if all you need it for is to talk to the next car, then it should be fine.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

are the little hand held jobs on the same channels as a regulare CB?

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You can buy hand held CB radios. They're pretty worthless for anything other then a spotter too talk to you in im honest opinion.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no i was wondering it you colt conect a cb to a handheld moterola or simaler walkie talkie type.

co worker has moterola one and i have a hand held CB I wanted to talk truck to truck on long drives, as they have zero interest in buying a cb

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would think no. CB is AM 11 meter. I have no idea what freq range the bussiness band radios use and if they are AM, FM, CW, or something else all together.