Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greetings, and a free Internet question, from...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

...Altus, Oklahoma. Here for a few weeks for my first round of Air Force school (gonna be a KC-10 boom operator in the Reserve, if you didn't know already). No wireless Internet in the VOQ, so I gotta walk to the library for my Internet fix... which of course brings the suck. WTF is up with no wireless, anyway??? I thought the Air Farce went wireless everywhere a year ago...?

Anyhooo...

I need a free dial-up ISP for a month, so I can surf from the privacy of my own room. Anybody have any recommendations for free ISP's that won't kill me with adware/spyware? I can D/L from the Net onto my USB drive...

2. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to deal with that in Yuma, sucks doesn't it. I went with Netzero, but it had all the ads/adware included in my free month. BUT, it all uninstalled with no problems.

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Heh heh... You're gonna be a boomer.

KC-135R > KC-10

But as far as booms go, the controls are a lot easier in the KC-10 than the 135.

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think when I went to Radio Chiefs course in 29 Palms, I used Net zero and AOL. Low introductory first months so I just canceled after the first month and tried another.

Now when i travel I have a Verizon Wireless Broadband card to insert into my laptop. So as long as I have a cell signal, I have internet. Pretty cheap too. Cheaper than what you would think it would be. It sucks sometimes depending on lacation but better than nothing.

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Oh yeah... PM me when ya get a chance... Altus is only 4-5 hours away from McConnell.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

where is Altus?
    You gonna come to OKC to hang with us guys?

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As Mapquest has it, Altus is like 2.5 hours southwest of OKC by car... and I don't have one here. Walking from Altus to OKC would be a slightly longer trip... :D

As for the 10 vs. 135 thing...
    I like the idea of sitting upright, in a seat, a LOT better than laying on my belly, in a cold-ass aluminum canoe, with my chin in a cup. I also like flying on airplanes that are YOUNGER than me... :D :D :haha: :haha:

I think I'm gonna do the Netzero thing for a month. I hate using the Internet in public places...

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

So much for that plan. Bought a month of NetZero, plugged into the phone in the room, and can't get the one-and-only NetZero access number in Altus, OK to recognize my computer. :mad: :mad: :mad: Tried every freakin' thing in their tech support - no dice.
    Oh well. Only 4 more tests and 3 weeks of school to go.... I'll live with public Interweb (I think).

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

My brother in law is at Fort Sill. Former Jarhead at that, even though he went to the "Dorkside" (Army). H'mm, road trip?

John

10. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

That's funny, I never heard that one. We were supposed to go paperless a couple years ago though. I'll let you know how that turns out when it actually happens.

It's funny what the other services hear about each other. My jarhead brother and I were talking for the first time since we had both joined the service a few years ago. He though that when the air force deployed, you were provided a hotel room and that they even provided prostitutes. :haha: Now, I'll admit that the tents are air conditioned and have electricity, but where he got the prostitute bit, I'll never know.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Paperless, eh? Tell that to the flunkies that keep adding more forms for booms to fill out to account for the fuel we pass... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:
    I think the whole "paperless force" thing (we were supposed to go paperless in the Corps, too - as of Dec '03 they weren't) is a colossal f**king joke at this point - right up there with the CAC card eliminating the need for ludicrous password requirements.