Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greetings and opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jess, Jan 4, 2004.

1. jess

jess Registered Member

Greetings! This is my first post on this forum and if all goes well I'll be on my way to a full paying subscriber. I've just bought my 3rd K5, a bone stock 89 Silverado 350 with the rare SM465/NP241 combo. When I was a kid I owned a 75 and another 89. Both of which I miss dearly. Anyhow this newest one I plan on making a wheeler out of. It's straight and clean and stock. I've also got a stock 79 K30 srw truck with a good drivetrain and bad body. The 79's got the usual D60/10.5 4.10s SM465/205 combo. I should mention the rear 10.5 has the factory locker, a Gov-lok I'm assuming. My question is what should I swap in and/or buy and what do I chuck? I plan on running a 6inch lift with the rear shackle flip, 35-38 inch Mud T/As or TSLs, beefy bumpers and an 8274 up front. Do I swap in the axles first and see how the NP241 holds up. With regards to spring pad width what's the easiest way to put a 1 ton 14 bolt on a K5?Is the Blazer's brake system up to the task of 1 ton axles? I'm not crazy about the factory locker and was wondering do I have to swap carriers to install a Detroit in the rear? What size rim should I choose, both height and width? I know it's alot of broad questions. I just need those in the know to point me in the right direction before I pull out the credit card and wrenches. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

welcome aboard, i think that the first place to start with when putting a rig together is axels. i would swap them before anything else. if you go with a 14 bolt from a 1 ton, the spring perches will have to be moved from 40.5 (center pin to center pin) to 42.5 and the shock mounts will be on the wrong side (they were on my 87 14 bolt) - no biggee on either. when moving the spring perches, it provides the opportunity to swing them around a bit to correct pinion angle and with the stock shock mounts, they are a bit low anyway. if you pull a 14 bolt ff from a ¾ ton, it is a direct bolt up - spring pads and shock mounts do not need to be moved. if i had it to do over again, i would have shaved the 14 bolt before i put it in. i know i can still do it; however, it would have been easer before it was installed. i am running a one ton drive and have no brake problems. i did not do the disk conversion - i know a lot of guys have done it, but i have seen too many conflicting posts. i had to fab up my hard lines in the rear. the hard line was cheap from napa and the fittings were the same size as the ½ ton stuff. i have little experience with lockers, but i do like a 16x10 wheel. the 16 inch fits over the d60 caliper without grinding and i just like the solid footprint that a fat tire provides...

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Welcome....

You will need to pick up an open carrier for the Detroit install. Might as well gear them axles then too if you are going that route.

I agree with axles first. Keep the 465/205 as spares, since the other is already installed.

May the madness begin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Welcome. I'll answer a couple more of your questions. Yes you will need to find an open carrier to install a detroit in the 14 bolt. And I wouldn't worry to much about your 241. They used them in 1 ton trucks for a while and I have one in my Blazer and lets just say I don't baby it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Take a few minutes to fill out your profile so we know a little bit about you and your truck and where your from.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't worry about the 241 either. I have a 241 behind my 700R4 and built 406 with wide 35" boggers and never have had a prob. I would do the axles and lift at the same time and if you don't do rocks I would try out the gov-lok and see if it works good or not, some do some don't. I have a gov lok in my 14BFF and it works good enough to where It isn't worth spending money for something else.

As far as rims...you say this is only going to be an offroad truck? I would go with some 15 or 16 x10 or 12 eaton black steelies with the beadlocks. Those are some tough rims and have a mean look to them. I would suggest 38" boggers in the back and 38" TSL's in the front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif