Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greetings fellow Blazer owners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ultra Al, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Ultra Al

Ultra Al Registered Member

Hi Yall
    My first post.
    I own a 1983 K5 Blazer, 350 bottom 305 top with flattops and an RV cam. I am in the process of restoring it. I have owned the truck since about 1989. Did the rebuild on the engine about 30000 ago. Also swithced the overdrive trans to a 350 turbo.
    I am currently going nuts trying to install a fuel pump. I read somewhere that you can fill the cavity with wheel bearing grease to hold up the rod to install the trigger on the pump right. What do you folks think? THere is very little room there I could make more room by pulling the smog pump but really dont want to do that. Thanks in advance for any advice. AL

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yep, the damn rod keeps sliding out, ain't it funny?

I greased mine with wheel bearing grease, like you said ... held it up in there and solved half an hour's worth of swearing, been fine for years.

Donno 'bout your newfangled truck (mine's ten years more matured :haha: ) but the AIR pump wasn't bad to pull ... but that grease trick will save your sanity.

Oh, and welcome!

-- A

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Welcome, glad to have you.

I always got lucky with my f. pump swaps. The only prob I remember having was one time when I just could not get the rod to go up at all... I could not get any grip with slick fingers. :doah: It didn't take me too long to get it though. I was always pretty good at the release and stab..

Later on I swapped over to a elec fuel pump, mounted on the inside of the frame and never looked back. :D Much easier.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Theres a hole on the front of the block you can thread a bolt into to hold the rod . Thats the story I heard here , I have never done that myself .

I usually just cuss and scream as the rod keeps falling down , until I have an epiphany and use a paper clip or stiff wire to hold it for me .

5. Ultra Al

thanks

Thanks I will give that a try. Oh and I did bump the engine until the rod goes up to where there is only about a half inch sticking down, think that is as good as it gets. Next on the list is to dump the quadrajet and replace it with an Eidelbrock 600 which I think will be better. AL

6. Ultra Al

Hmmm I sure didnt feel any holes from inside the cavity. Hey TxfiremanK5 Im a couple of hours north of you I live about 10 miles north of San Angelo. AL

7. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

put the grease in the freezer....

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you plan to take that Blazer off the paved roads , and on a trail , I wouldn't run the Edelbrock .

Q-jet is just as good as it gets short of fuel injection :D

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

welcome. :smile1:

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Been a while since I've been to Angelo. My grandmother lives in Brady.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The elusive bolt hole..

That "bolt hole" in the front of the block has a bolt in it,to plug the oil leak that would result if there was no bolt!..take out that bolt,and screw in a longer 3/8 bolt with long threads,and tighten it GENTLY against the pushrod--too much force will mar the pushrod or bend it!...

It is best to loosen the fuel pump first,then turn the motor over by hand until the pushrod is as far back into the block as it'll go,(the point where the fuel pump flops around the most!)-then snug that bolt up against the pushrod to hold it..now you can take off the pump,and save the cuss words for when you mash your knuckles!..dont forget to put the short bolt back in,or you will ruin the pushrod if you leave the long bolt in,or have an oil leak if you leave the short one out..

This method beats using hacksaw blades or feeler gauges to hold the pushrod away from the fuel pump rocker arm,or having to take the plate off to get the pushrod out to grease it...be thankful its not a VAN!!--you HAVE to use the bolt trick on them!.. :crazy:

12. Ultra Al

Thank you I will look for it. I already have the fuel pump off and the rod proped up with a hacksaw blade and the grease is in the freezer and im bleeding in several places LOL. Your way sounds good if I can find the bolt and get to it. A darn brain surgeon would have trouble getting his hands in there. Im trying to avoid removing the smog pump. maybe I can leave it proped up (it is at its shortest point) and screw in the bolt. AL

13. Ultra Al

First off I want to thank everybody for the welcome and the advice.
    Well diesel4me I crawled under it and looked and dont see it. I see two bolts that are holding on the smog pump bracket. Are these bolts on all models. This is a 350 block, year unknown. Do you have to remove the smog pump to see/access it? AL

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Might be..

All small blocks had the bolt holes--they used them for the motor mounts on the 55-57 chevys!..it could be the air pump is held on by the one that you want to use to hold the pushrod,I haven't had a small block with an air pump in a long time(I ditch em if it did have one!)..it will be the uppermost bolt of the two.(right in line with the pushrod)...wish I could post a picture for you,I have a 400 small block sitting outside,but no camera or a clue how to post pictures..not sure if you'll have to yank the air pump,someone else might know for sure--I dont recall having too.. :crazy:

15. Ultra Al

Thanks for the great advice, it worked, the fuel pump is installed. IT was the upper bolt holding the smog pump bracket. AL

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

See, brother, that's what CK5 is all about. There's more where that came from, trust me........

Welcome to CK5!!! :thumb: