Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greetings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer40, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Blazer40

Blazer40 Registered Member

I bought myself a 84 Blazer recently. It's a monster. Everytime I did a search on anything concerning Blazers this forum came up, so I decided to join up. I need all the help I can get considering I'm already going to have to replace the front end, courteousy of the South Canadian River.

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

lets see some pics of the monster

3. Blazer40

Pics

Well I bought it last Friday and 5 hours later I was stuck in a river. I had a camera phone but in the midst of all the nonsense my phone fell in the river. It used to be a military vehicle but they took out the diesel engine and added 10" of lift with 40" Ground Hawgs. I will try to get pics soon.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I can't imagine a couple hours in the river warranting the replacement of a front end. Are you sure you can't just get it cleaned up? And if you have 40" tires, than it should already have a D60. If not, then better you than me. If you do have a D60, there's definitely no need for replacement. Just take it apart, clean out your bearings, seals, etc and grease everything up.

5. Blazer40

I wish

The guy that built it wanted everything light - as possible anyway. That's why there's a D44 in front and not a 60. He built a solid truck and opted for light vs stout. I will eventually put a 60 in but I just bought it and I didn't want to sink more in to it right now. But trust me it needs a new front end. I've already got one though so no worries..

6. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

if it has a 44 and 40s it needs to be replaced asap. you should call the guy that LIGHTENED IT UP :doah: and ask him how much he got for the 60 before he sold you the truck . he probably got an extra 1200.00 for it on top of what you paid for the truck . did he replace the tranny and transfer case with a tubo 350 and 203 to LIGHTEN IT UP also ?:haha: sorry not trying to make you feel bad or anything just what some guys do to others is amazing

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

who said it had a 60? The military Blazers came with 10b's just like the civy ones.

8. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Fixed it for ya. :D

9. Blazer40

He never had 60's on it. I don't know why he built it with 44s but either way the truck was worth what I paid for it with or w/o the 60's. I don't know a lot about trucks but I know a lot about buying and selling them and I didn't feel used and abused after. I got everything I intially wanted from the start and now it's up to me to make it stronger...

10. Blazer40

Well at the end of the day I got something that needs a few mod's but it's what I always wanted. It's worth the price to me.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Exactly. I would venture to say that 90% of all the rigs on here didnt initially come with all hardcore componentry. Thats why the motto of this site is "built not bought." I know mine didnt. Congrats on getting the blazer man! And welcome to one of the most informative and addicting forums on the net. :bow:
    -Harrison

12. Blazer40

Thanks man. I wasn't all together pleased with breaking my rig 5 hours after I got it but crap happens. I will make it bigger and badder but I have to have it first. The first couple guys expected me to have bought it made to order from a private individual like he was working for Burger King.

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Well welcome to the site man. Sounds like your off to the same start (kinda) that I was on. Buy it, break it, upgrade it, repeat :D .

You'll find all the info you need to help you build and fix your truck properly on here. Just make sure you sift through some of the info given to you before assuming everything your told is true. You'll find that there is just as many people that don't know what they are talking about as there are that do. You'll get to know which is which fairly easily.

I would also have to agree with the guys above that I don't see how a bath in the river would require a whole new axle. I've given mine quite a few dirty sandy dunks and never had to do much more than changing fluids and greasing everything. I would have to think that if it is scrap now it had to have had some issues already.

Oh well, one way or another you have the new axle and it will be fixed soon. Happy wheeling :Thumb:

14. Blazer40

I definitely agree that it shoudln't have broke under those conditions. Something wasn't jiving but I bought the thing as is so I couldn't start complaining. I trust everything else and I like the truck and I don't doubt that everyone in here would too.

Example - It drove out of a sand embankment that two other trucks in 4 wheel drive got stuck at

15. ghostrider32

ghostrider32 1/2 ton status

Hey Man I Totally Understand. I Own 2 1983 K5's Just Bought The Last One Two Week's Ago. Second Day I Had It Broke The Sprag Gear In The Turbo 350 Tranny. It's In The Shop At Dc Trans In Del City Getting Fixed.i Run The River Quite Often From New Castle To Purcel, Sounds Like We Need To Hook Up For Some River Runnin.hey If You Dont Need The Front Axle Drop Me A Line.

16. Blazer40

Have you been out by the Purcell/Lex bridge any this year? I've been out there or around there weekendly since late February so maybe I've seen your rig. I busted my axles about 1/8 mile North of the bridge.

I gave my bro in law the front axle already, I probably should've kept it consider I always need spare parts.

17. ghostrider32

ghostrider32 1/2 ton status

Not This Year Yet. Lost My Wife Last Oct And Have Been Without A Working 4x4 Till Now. Ussualy Camp Out Under The Bridge With Family And Friends. In Prosses Of Getting Parts For Other K5 , Have 3/4 Ton Axles For It And Going To Replace Tranny With A 350 Turbo. Motor Getting Replaced With A Fresh 388 Stroker Im Building ,also Going With 10 Inch Lift And Hopefully 40 Inch Tires. Hey Drop Me A Line Ghstrdr32 At Aol Might Be Running This Weekend

18. Blazer40

Well sorry to hear bout your wife.

I got both the 10" lift and 40" tires. Everyone called me crazy for my tire and axle combination because I got the 3/4 ton axles too. This forum seems to think 1 ton axles are the only thing I should be running right now. I wish they would sponsor me in that purchase.

I got a wedding this weekend and the Texas races next weekend, so I will be dry for a couple of weeks.

19. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Welcome Blazer40! Congrats on your new K5, don't get discouraged with the 1-ton thang. It's kind of what people do here......that is bash us that don't have D60's......if you break you front axle left and right then you will know when it is time to upgrade ;)

20. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yah don't worry everyone says you need a 60 ( you do ) but keep your eyes out and you will get one sooner than you think. Until then wheel it and have fun. I tell you what you can keep a 10b or 44 alive even with 40s if you are carefull Welcome to the family