Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greg72 I need your input

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rebel-Rider, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

this has absolutely nothing to do with a blazer install but my dad just bought a new motorcycle a 2002 honda goldwing and there is a factory spot for a cd changer (honda factory equipment is panasonic) and you can order the cd changer that fights in the spot but it cost $1150 for a 6 disc cd changer i have the complete wiring diagram of the bike and what i was wondering is if i could some how use another (cheaper) changer and still be able to use the factory controls???? let me know if you can be of some help thanks

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok...
    1.if the factory radio (says it is a panisonic and not honda) has cd changer buttons then should not be any problems in hooking it up it should only be one wire(thick one )that you plug into the back of the radio and you can still use the right butons....
    2.If it is a honda brand radio then you will have to use a remote controller to use the changer and you will need to get a FM plugin for the radio and set the radio staion at what ever frequency that the gizzmo says

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

RR,

We all know that most manufacturers "OEM" their stereo stuff from one of the existing major brands....it sounds like in this case, Honda is sourcing their unit from Panasonic.

The risk is that Honda has specified different "pin-outs" for their CD changer to make it incompatible with other Panasonic changers. It will be hard to sell changers for $1100 if people figure out that an off-the-shelf Panasonic works just as well.....

Anyway, that would be my guess at what you'll find, at a minimum. Potentially, the had Panasonic do additional things to make it more shockproof, or to add more "read ahead memory" since it will be in a more hostile environment than a normal car environment. Perhaps some increased moisture barriers to keep water out, since it will be more exposed to the elements...?

This is all just pure speculation, but there are some things to think about. If you are convinced that the changer itself is "identical" to other Panasonics internally, then your only challenge will be to figure out the pin assignments on the plug (is it a DIN style?) and maybe do a few mods to make sure that each pin is assigned to the correct function.

Sorry I can't be of more "specific" help on this one. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

One more idea. I'm not sure if Panascronic does this or not, but its worth checking into. At the tailend of my installing days, we started carrying factory to aftermarket CD changer adapters. And I'm not talking about any RF mods. They were about $100, but oh well. Clarion was the only brand I did it with. Plugged the adapter into the stock plug and plugged the Clarion changer into the other end. Stock controls on the radio did everything. And the customer saved mucho cash. Check with a Pan dealer for that kind of an adapter.

5. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

thanks for the input ive got a stereo shop looking for an adapter now but they might just be able to hard wire it in so ill find out a little later
    thanks