Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Greg72 or anyone else

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Muddytazz, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I was looking through your photos about your stereo build-up and saw something....what is the purpose of using monster caps or caps in general. I've seen other stereo builds using caps and some that don't and have never for the life of me figured why they are used.

BTW, nice system and photos, very inspirational /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif especially like the tweets mounted in the floor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You ever see the headlights dim when the bass hits ??? Or hear bass peter out ??? Caps will fix that problem.

3. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Capacitors or caps, act like a short term battery. They store up power and discharge it very quickly for sudden surges. Like Z3PR said, they help to keep your amps, headlights, altenator and whole electrical system from suffering from sudden voltage losses when the bass hits. They look neat too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep....these guys have it right.

Your battery can't discharge quickly enough to power the instantaneous transients in music. The capacitors CAN! If your headlights dim when the bass hits....you're REALLY not getting the sound you should, and the subs will sound sloppy and out-of-control.

The general "rule-of-thumb" is to add 1 Farad capacitor for each 1000 Watts of power in the stereo system.

A 500W system needs 1/2 Farad....a 1500 Watt system need 1.5 Farads, etc. There's minimal benefit to adding more capacitors than you really need....and they aren't cheap. Stick to the 1 Farad per 1000W rule and you'll be fine.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Do you need caps on anything but subs?
    Is that 1000W total or just in subs?
    I will never go over (or even near) 1000W in subs...but might be around 500 total when I am done.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you ever notice your headlights dim when the bass hits, then get a cap.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dan,

Generally it's hard to pull 500 - 1000W without subs... if you do, your ears must be a LOT stronger than mine! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I suppose throwing a 1/2 farad into the mix for your system might help, but honestly it's the really demanding bass (moving a large cone, large magnets, lots of resistance to accelerate and stop that cone quickly!) that works the amps hardest. It might be kind of a fun experiment to wire one in, and do some "A - B" listening comparisons.

I know the first time I wired a cap into a BIG system of mine, the difference in the "snappiness" of the bass and "quality" of the bass was dramatic. I've used them ever since.....

Of course to be fair, my systems have also gotten bigger and bigger each time so I suppose that kind of makes sense.

8. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

i have a cadence 600 watt 4 channel amp and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to put half a cap in my system or if it would be a waste of money.
    the amp runs two 10s and two spekers up front.

Clint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Yet always replace your main battery first if you do not have a gel-cel. It is much better to go with a deep cycle battery before adding a capacitor. They are about the same price and the battery will help more; now if you already have a nice gel cell battery then get a cap. I prefer the pheonix gold, batcap and stinger lines, BUT THEY ALL ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL PRODUCTS ;-)