Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

greg72 wto hydro ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gpeatrk5, May 17, 2006.

1. gpeatrk5

gpeatrk5 Registered Member

This question is for Greg72 or any one else runing hydro assist steering. I just ordered the redneck ram for my truck i have a 71 blazer dana 60 up front with cross over hi steer and was wonder what part that is that greg used to attach the ram to the tie rod so the tie rod could still be adjusted let me and if you have pics it would be very helpfull

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here is the part number of what you're talking about. Greg gave me the part number a while back. It is from McMaster-carr #60845K67

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You need to look it up and measure your tie rod before you go ordering scotts part number...
    It really depends on what diameter tierod you have. I ran a 1.500" diameter rockrod back in the day. After that got bent i went with ORD high steer with a new tierod, thats 1.250" diameter and i couldn't use that $45 1.5" clamp anymore.

Good luck with that if you got a 1.5" WTO ram. If you actually drive the truck a couple times a week, I'll bet you won't get more than 6 months out of it before the seal starts leaking like crazy.. I went through half a dozen rams before i said screw it and started rebuilding it myself instead of waiting a week. Trail rig? i could see it being a year or two before it leaks.
    I found a 1.5" x .125" oring at a hardware store and gooped on the grease when i rebuilt it, and that has lasted longer than any of my previous rams. My steering box has been good for a few years but willyswanter went through a dozen of WTO rebuilds.. :doah:
    Not trying to talk smack, just inform you of a few bad experiences, theres plenty of guys that are happy with the setup.. Overall I definately got what i paid for with my WTO hydro assist setup, over the last couple years. :cool:

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to the site!!! :thumb:

The McMaster site is where I got my clamp....but as already mentioned, be sure that you get the right I.D. for your application. You don't want to have to buy it more than once!!!

Also, be careful not to buy one with a keyway cut in it....they offer both styles.

:usaflag:

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oops, as Ryan said that clamp part number is for the 1.5" diameter tie rod.