Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grenaded my rear diff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by airbornesoldier327, Jan 23, 2006.

1. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

Well there i was driving down the road, no wierd noises or anything, an when i parked i looked back at the truck to find a huge puddle forming under the rear diff. Apon closer inspection i noticed 4 holes in the diff cover.:mad: I havent pulled it apart yet, but i just had it rebuilt 2 months ago so you can imagine my upset over it. Well the problem that really sucks is the guy that rebuilt it said he would take a look at it, but i live in NC and it was done while i was in iraq so i had it done in FL so i have to pull it and take it down there to be done. Unless anyone near me feels like getting a case and helping me, as i dont have the tools or knowledge to take care of this problem. What should i do??

2. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

if its a 10 or 12 bolt id pull the cover and see what it looks like. if its just spiders you could be up and running for 150 and a couple hours of work. the spiders are easy to change and i could walk you through it.

3. airbornesoldier327

All right well i just pulled it apart and its the spider gears, so gmtech if you could talk me through it i would be greatly appreciative!!!

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

spider gears are pretty easy to do. jack the axle up so both tires ar off the ground. On the carrier there is a small bolt that holds the cross shaft in remove that then the cross shaft will slide out. Now push in on each tire this will allow you to remove the c-clip then you can slide the axle shaft out a little. you might even want to take the drums and tirs off so you can pull the shafts out all the way to check them for damage. Then you should be able to pull what is left of the spider gears out. Make sure to note where there are any shims becasue you will need to have these in the same place. Give the inside a good cleaning to amke sure you got all the metal out then get your new spiders and install them in reverse of instalation

5. airbornesoldier327

I have a alburn locker in the rear, so whats the difference in the installation?

6. airbornesoldier327

morning bump.....

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You sure the pinion gears are the only problem? 4 holes in the diff cover sounds like a lot more metal moving around than the leftovers of teeth from the gears.

I'd rotate that thing and inspect the ring and pinion for certain.

The carrier on mine broke in half and didn't puncture the cover...

8. airbornesoldier327

Its accually the spider gears that went and i let all the oil drain out and only found 2 teeth missing from the spider gears. anyone feel like getting sme beer for helping me pull this thing and fixin the problem???:D

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Pinion Gears is actually the correct OEM given name for "Spider Gears" Same thing...different point of view.

What you need to do, if it is only the "Spiders" is to remove them and all associated locker stuff from the carrier as laid out by 1979jimmy350. When you remove the bolt that holds the cross shaft from the carrier USE A 6 POINT wrench or socket only. You really don't want to round the head on it or you will be there for a while.

As you are removing parts make note of where everything goes so that after you get new parts you will know how it goes back together.

10. airbornesoldier327

So how do you pull the axles outward to be able to pull the locker and everythign else stait out? where are those clips to remove the alxes? thanks for the correction on the spider gears readymix.

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I'll try to lay it out in steps for you. It really is easy if you break it down into smaller parts

• Jack up the rear and support on jackstands (no need to remove the wheels unless you feel like it)
    • drain gear oil and remove the diff cover
    • rotate the driveshaft by hand until you see the bolt that holds the cross shaft in place. The bolt goes in on the pass side of the carrier and threads towards the drivers side. If i remember correctly it is a 5/16.
    • remove that bolt and then slide the cross shaft out by pushing on it. You may need to rotate the diff a little either way in order to make it so the cross shaft will coem out
    • Now push the wheels in as for as you can get them. Usually a little more that 1/4 inch.
    • Get back under the truck and remove the "C" clips from the ends of the axle shafts, then pull the tires back out so that the axle shafts are not engaged in the spiders any more. About 3 inches will do fine
    After you get the "C" clips out you will need to be carefull of what you are doing, as the cross shaft and "C" clips are what holds the spiders in place. If you rotate the carrier from here on out parts will start coming out. Try it a little and you will see.
    • Remove the spiders by rotating them around the side gears.
    • Remove the side gears. There are thrust shims behind them so be sure that they come out and that you do not loose them.
    Now you have all the spiders out. Inspect them and make note af anything that you will need to replace. At this point I would do a good inspection of the internals of the LS or locker, whatever you have.

I have never worked on an Auburn but this is the way most diffs are. If you post a few pics of what yours looks like I will be able to give you better directions.

12. airbornesoldier327

Really appreciate the help readymix, ill try and get that cover off and take pics on friday to post up to make things easier.... i would do it tomrrow, but i have to finish my buddies lift on his bronco, doing a 6 inch procomp on his truck already has 2 inch body on it, turning out pretty well. Didnt think we could tackle it at first, but with a little inginuity and a BFH we got the front taken care of tonight. Well ill let you know how it goes.