Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grey/Blue smoke valve stem seals?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rafterman191, Oct 14, 2006.

1. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

Upon cold start up and higher rpm running until operating temp reached, I have a grey/blue smoke from the exhaust. The guy I used to work with did a head gasket replacement on it but said the valve seals didn't "feel" bad so he didn't change them. Sound like the problem to anyone? How hard is it do just change the seals? Sweet squirrel stew!! Oh yea, it is using up the oil pretty quickly or I would not be too concerned. I would say easily a quart per 1k miles.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

using that much oil i would say it is more than just the seals, the guides are probley worn also, just the seals only tend to blow smoke on start up

3. rafterman191

rafterman191 Registered Member

Crap, that would be alot of work. Replace heads? Would be a better option? Or replace motor even. Or am I making too much out of it? Anyone install sleeves in their valve guides? Any other fixes?

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you can have sleeves installed in the valve guides, you might want to pull the valve spring off a valve or two and check the side play with the head on so you know for sure if it is the guides