Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grill options?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milehighz28, Oct 18, 2002.

1. milehighz28

milehighz28 Registered Member

The guy who owned my truck before me decided to do some custom grill work. http://klopp.cz28.com/images/blazer3.jpg Im not a big fan, so I want to change it. Is there an aftermarket for grills, or do I need to go back to stock. If I go stock, what all year grills will fit my 71? Also, if there is an aftermarket, can I get some links? Thanks guys...

Jeff the K5 newby

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm not sure, but it looks like you might have to redo the whole front area to go back to stock.

[​IMG]

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I can't really tell from the photo how the current front was created. Hopefully they just installed headlights to the radiator support using the "double headlight" setup from the Jimmy....and then made some sort of a metal surround for the rest?

Anyway, depending on how much hacking was done, you may be able to remove the offensive stuff that's on there and bolt on a nice factory inner & outer grille.

First stop for any "newbie" should be to get catalogs from LMC Truck, and Chevy Duty at a minumum. LMCs is great because it has a lot of assembly diagrams too....so it's like getting a free "shop manual". OK, not really THAT good, but it has some surprisingly good exploded views to help with restoration work.

That should get you started.....

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

You could go with a phantom grill or a billet grill

Phantom
    [​IMG]

Billet
    [​IMG]

5. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I can't leave well enough alone myself, even though of all chevy trucks my favorites are the 68 followed by the 71-72 grille.

I really like the 69 Camaro grill and have been kicking around an idea that emulates it.
    1) Use the ring around the stock 71-72 grill, similar to the "phantom grill" (make it body color)
    2) Mount the headlight both:
    - deeper in the grill
    - closer together (69 Camaro style)
    - use the 69 Camaro headlight rings
    3) Instead of the egg-crate style grill used on both the Camaro and the truck, go with the diamond mesh that the new Heavy Duty version of Chevy trucks use (black) to "toughen it up" a little.
    4) What's left is to smooth the open area between the new headlight mounting location and the old (like the Camaro)

Hope I didn't offend anyone, I just like tweaking stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

6. milehighz28

milehighz28 Registered Member

OK, I think I have decided what route to go. I like this:

[​IMG]

(Thx Greg, your truck looks great!) Now, the question is, how do I go about getting one like that? Junk yards or GM? Is there an aftermarket store that sells replicas? That is the 69/70 grill right? Thanks for the info guys...

Jeff

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Excellent choice....! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The '69-'70 grilles are my favorite. You can by reproduction ones from LMC or ChevyDuty, but the "inner grille" will not say "CHEVROLET" across it due to GM licensing issues....only GM is allowed to sell those.

The outer grille is available anywhere, the inner grille will need to come from an authorized source. They still exist, they are just getting harder to find. Realistically, if you find a perfect inner/outer grille..expect to pay somewhere around $500 for the set.

The P.O. of my truck actually grafted the CHEVROLET portion of an original grille into a reproduction part, so it still looks correct. That might be another way (cheaper) to go, but still have it look good.

Don't forget, in that picture I don't have a front bumper. The whole front end looks even more complete once there's a nice '69-'70 bumper (with no turn signal holes) to finish it off! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have aluminum mesh bolted into the stock bolt holes for the grill.its a good temporary solution to haveing a grill.check out my truck link below to see what it looks like. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif