Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grill paint removal?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kenaik5, Jan 29, 2006.

1. kenaik5

kenaik5 Registered Member

I just purchased a used grill for my 72 k5. I couldn't see spending hundreds of dollars on a new one because it's not a show truck, but the one that i bought has flat black painted around the headlamps and all the way around the grill outer. the one that is on the truck currently has no black on it, and i really like the look. Has anyone ever stripped this flat black off? If so with what? I was thinking of using citristrip,but i don't know if it would be string enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks kenai

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i would just sand it a little to ruff it up whip it down with some acceton or alchohol to get dirt and oil off and repaint it.

3. kenaik5

Thank you for the suggestion, but i really want it clean without any paint. Thanks

4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

oh its on the chrome part right . have you tried any paint thinner yet ? my brothers was painted took forever to rub it all off but we got it. is that what your talking about?

5. kenaik5

It is the factory flat black that is painted around the headlamps and around the border of the entire grill. I would like to remove this to give it a cleaner look. Thanks

6. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Parts stores sell some spray type paint removers. The one that I have used is the "aircraft paint remover" worked well for me. Just read the directions and see if its safe for trome.