Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grim ? on a 203..Please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gokartergo, Sep 29, 2002.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When I first got this 77 it wouldn't go into 4 loc.. Me not nowing anything about a 203 I tore into the linkage.. I cleaned out the range box and adjusted the linkage a little.. I get all gears now but sometimes I have to kick the lever to get it into low gears.. When I am underneath the truck I could see some slop in the linkage.. My ? for you is.. Is there a center spot to adjust the linkage.. What I mean is do you put it in Nuetral and the tighten it up Our how do you now when it is right.. Is it just trial and error. I got another range box from a member of this board and it does the same thing...Thanks Dan

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah there is a way to adjust it but If your doing this while the truck is sitting still it's usualy stiff. I found that mine shifts easiest by rolling a few mph drop the transmission in to neutral then shift the case. Seems to easily go from high to low that way. MUCH easier than trying to get into low when parked. If your converted then lock the hubs. Once rolling it should go in and out of lock pretty easy. The case is billed as a shift on the fly and it does shift easiest when rolling.
    I cant' remember the adjustment procedure. The two levers have a hole in them. As I recal you put the shifter in N and the holes should line up. Pu t a nail in them. The rod going into the chain housing should be fully retracted. Drop the linkage off the range box and find N on the box. Ajust the linkage till it is the correct length. Pull the nail.
    Now I'm just pulling that off the top of my head. I haven't messed with that in about 4 years. The instructions should be in both Haynes and Chiltons. I would double check them.

3. gokartergo

Ok I have 2 sets of linkage and they don't have holes in them for a nail.. But I think if I start with it in Nuetral then I could go from there.. But guess I will go pick up a book on it tomorrow.. And when I say kick it I mean you need to undo your seat belt and really kick it. I know it is not the T-case cuse when the linkage is disconnected I could move it really easy... Thanks Dan

4. gokartergo

OK Bought a Chiltons today.. The holes that line up are on the Range box.. I thiught you where saying on the linkage.. But other then that it is exactly what you said..Thanks Dan

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I had to take appart both my shifters and clean them out. Full of mud and they would jam and not want to shift. If you don't fix the problem with the adjustment that will be the next step. Some of the shifters have a couple rivits to drill out. You can replace them with a bolt. Couple little tabs you also have to unbend to get them to come appart. Just be very careful to keep everything in the same order as you go throught it. I do mine like a book. Once I get the cover off I clean it and lay it face down. stack the pices in order that they come out. A lot more in that shifter than you would think. Some axle grease to lube it.

6. gokartergo

Yea I sprayed it pretty good with brake cleaner and lubed it up..They look oK.. I took of the ends to do that.. The reason I beleave it is the linkage is becayse I put on 2 diffrent range boxes and it does the same thing..Thanks Dan

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

range boxes that easy to remove and install ?? where at on the case is range box exactly ? how big is it ? mine is hard to get into 4lo also, i need to do some housekeeping maintenance on it soon,.

thanks

8. gokartergo

It is actually at the bottom of the shifter. If you go under the truck you will see the linkage attacted to it.. There is something like a cotter pin that holds them in.. Then pull the cover off your floor board.. There are only 2 bolts that hold the range box on.. They attach to the tranny...Dan

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Uuuhhh...the range box is what contains the gears for low range. I think you are talking about the actual shifter mechanism. The range box is between the chain drive and tranny adapter, so it would require dropping the t-case, not too easy to me.

10. gokartergo

Then it is my misunderstanding.. I always thought that was called the range box.. I'm bad..

11. gokartergo

After adjusting it tonight.. I lost 4 loc again.. But I moved out the high low part about a 1/8 of a inch and it works again and all goes in smoothly. Odd how that part makes the 4 loc part work..Thanks Dan