Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GRIM REAPER or anybody else that knows 203's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

GRIM REAPER or anybody else that knows 203\'s

I tore down my 203 today and discovered that the main shaft
    and the rear output shaft splines where smooth. What would cause this? is there a measurement I can take on the chain to find out if there is to much slack? Where is the best place to get the shafts,bearings,seals,and chain online and what is a good rebuild manual? I know that is alot of questions but any info is greatly appreciated

TIA

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Re: GRIM REAPER or anybody else that knows 203\'s

I am tossing everything not required for a doubler box from my 203.
    it all looks fairly fresh in there,
    other then 2 things
    oil was black as night
    and looks like some thrust clearances were set by the rebuilder
    you are a long way off but someone should get this stuff as I will just send it to the dump.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Mr Watson....you ever see this?

Wow....Never heard of one doing that. So the input splines between the tranny are smooth and the splines that go into the diff cross for the rear output put are smooth also? Sounds like the reduction box locked up to me.
    If your part time the chain just sits there so I doubt it's that. If your full time the chain may jump (will make a bang as it does it) but once rolling it should not be putting a load on the case unless you have miss matched gears front and rear or different size tires front/rear but that is null and void if it is part time converted. If the chain were to break then it would ball up on the front output and lock down the front.
    With 2 sets of splines toast I would scrap it and find another. There has to be some searions problems to strip out 2 sets. Both my truck and the Lady's truck run 203's and well over 200k on each of them and the spline look near perfect.
    You can probably score a 203 for $50 and shipping in the for sale section here or at the Pirate board or Off-Road.com.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Re: Mr Watson....you ever see this?

It has the shaft type part time conversion. I also discovered that the tranmission seal between the case and tranny was shot so I would guess that oil and tranny fluid mixed would not help anything. actully the splines that are smooth are the ones on the part time shaft and the shaft that goes in to that (the upper chain shaft) I called it the wrong thing [​IMG] the chain does not seem to have much slop in it. I will Try to get some pics so you can see what I am talking about everything seems
    so spin freely up to the bad splines. I would rather just get the parts to fix this case so it won't happen again on another case. once again thanks for your help..

*wink*

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

here are a couple of pics of the destruction [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun13?&amp;page=2>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun13?&amp;page=2</a>

*wink*

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

uh arent these roller bearings?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/albums/albun13/aan.sized.jpg>http://coloradok5.com/albums/albun13/aan.sized.jpg</a>

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

no they used to be splines

*wink*

my 79 rust bucket will run over your 2001 chevy 4X4 tahoe plastic wagon<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Redfrog on 12/24/01 04:54 PM.</FONT></P>