Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GrimReaper Carb king

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Jul 7, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim, I need some help with understanding the magic of the quadrajet. Which book or manuals do you have/recomend for a novice?

I'm also looking for edelbrock electric choke help.

thanks

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I used the Haynes repair manual and haynes also had a book titled "Rochester carb Tuning" on the same rack. It has a pretty good section that described how the Rochester carbs work. Overall its the best book that I have found but it has some gaps and is sometimes hard to follow especially setting the choke up from scratch.
    Now as for converting to electric...got to use the oil pressure switch set up just like the factory. Find a mid 80's GM anything in the junkyard and it will have the oil switch you need. Just follow the wire from the choke back and get that switch, harness with as much wire as you can get and the T. It just needs as ig source for power, heck if the switch is there then you could get away hooking straight battery for the power. once the engine shuts off the cuircuit will be broken. The rest is just like setting the hot air style like you have on your 79. You can convert your 79 Quad by just getting an electric choke element from Auto Zone for $27 but they look at you funny when you ask for the oil pressure switch. Thats what I had to do when I dropped the crate in my wifes 79. The intake would not suport the old style hot air choke.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/