Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND....Sort of a rant, kind of a laff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmyjack, Jun 7, 2003.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Holy Moly!!!! I just installed my 8 lug front end. Found a great deal on a complete front end but just used parts for the swap. From what I've read everyone says you just gotta grind the calipers....... well I ground the calipers, I ground the caliper supprt bracket, I even ground a little bit off of the wheel /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Just surface stuff, slag from welds that weren't completely ground off. It's amazing how something sooooooo easy just kicked my ass soooo badly /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Every time we would grind (blublaz57 and I) we would paint it to see if it still rubbed, it would rub somewhere ELSE. We decided to index a stud and the wheel so it went the same way everytime and it still threw curve balls at us! Anybody have any ideas on that? Oh, by the way, shorts and flip flops arent a wise decision for grinding apparel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

keep grindin... bright idea for the day, that will be $.02

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I found most of the grinding was on the leading and trailing edge of the caliper mount...not the caliper itself so much. Keep grinding until it doesn't rub...don't be scared to get medievel on it./forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rene

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Of course it moves around. You find a high spot, remove it, next high spot shows up. That's the only way to do it with hand tools and minimal material removed. Just don't get in too big of a hurry and it will come together...

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

heh, Ive ground 2 sets of d60 cals down to fit 15 rims. Wasnt so bad the first time... cause i had the rims seperate from the tires, so it was no biggie to test fit every few mins. The second time tho... yikes... tires were attached to the rims and it was a real PITA. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif thankfully, I'll never have to do that again!!!

j

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

That was the bigest part of the problem!!!!!!!!! No loose wheel to fit. That and the one side of my truck had NOOOOO room to move around cos of the way I parked it. They're on now,I wanna go try them out /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks for helping me out yesterday BluBlaz, you rock!

7. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

when i ground mine i sized it with a heavy a$$ steel trail ready, with a 37" mtr mounted on it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. boy were my arms sore the next day. good luck. it will be worth it, eventually youll be glad you did it!!!!

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's amazing how something sooooooo easy just kicked my ass soooo badly .

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL !
    Man, I totaly know that feeling. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Root Moose

Root Moose Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, by the way, shorts and flip flops arent a wise decision for grinding apparel /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad, bad human! Sit! Stay!

I always at least wear safety sandals when working outside.

LOL

r@m