Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grinder problem (cont.)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I had this in my other post but no one saw it...
    I rewired my 5" grinder with a new cord because the old cord was getting torn to bits. I ended up splicing the 2 cords together (old wires and the new wires together) because I needed the special ring connectors on the old wires.
    I got it all back togeher after a lot of hassle... turned it on and it fired right up, tested it, ran good... but when I go to turn the grinder into the "OFF" position... it keeps running. What have I done now? Is it something easy? Or do I have to tear it apart again?
    Thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Grinders tend to get filled with tiny steel particles. Usually the trigger mechanism needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Obviously there is still contact being made in the trigger mechanism.

I have a 5" Makita with the paddle style trigger and just had to completely dis-assemble, clean and re-install. Work fine now.

What brand grinder and what style trigger?

Rene

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm not completely sure on the brand, but I think it is a OLD makita... the trigger is "push forward to turn on, push back to turn it off" I think.
    So I probably have to take apart the whole thing to clean the trigger? DOH:(

4. tRustyK5

I hate those triggers...but you should be able to disassemble and clean it. The contacts get gummed up and the metal shavings adhere to the contacts...then it won't shut off.

Rene

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I will check it out in the next few days and try to get motivated to take it apart again.
    Thanks for the help, Rene

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

need a good grinder?

i have a hitachi 8.2 amp from lows that was $100 dollers that is the s%&t . it just wont give up . use it on frames with dubble twisted wire wheel 5"dia weight 2-3 lbs. plus with those 4 1/2" sand flapper wheels. even been droped in bucket of water still going.if yours isn't fixable try this one . it's worth the money.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Grinder Clean Up

Before you take it all apart again, go get some tuner cleaner from a stereo store, or some typewriter cleaner, or some spray brake cleaner. Use the nozzle and straw off a WD 40 can if you don't get one with the cleaner you buy. With the grinder unplugged, try to blast some cleaner into the trigger switch to flush out any metal particles that are keeping the trigger circuiit open. If that don't work, then take it apart and use the rest of the cleaner on the internals.It worked for me and my Milwaukee grinder.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Will the brake cleaner harm anything? or will it just clean.
    Thanks for the advice, I will do that before I tear it apart.
    Thanks

9. tRustyK5

Brake Kleen will be fine. It evaporates completely without leaving any residue...spray it and let it dry a little and then try it.

Rene

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

brake clean and plastic i thought was a bad idea?:confused:

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

get yourself a smalltipped blowgun and blow out all around the switch...... ummm, thats if ya got air :whistle:

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks. I will try that.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nooooooo!!!!

I sold a brand new drill to a mechanic a few years ago at the store I worked at--after he used it for the first time,and got it all greasy,he sprayed it off with brake cleaner and wiped it down(he takes very good care of his tools)--as he walked away from his toolbox,he heard a cracking noise--he looked in the drawer,and his new drill had an "alligatored" appearance to it--when he picked it up,it crumbled into several small peices!:yikes: (the plastic case)and he brought it back,and was VERY P-O'd!!--my boss gave him another one,and when the tool rep came,he said he'd seen it before,and now warns anyone who cleans their tools with similar plastic cases not to use brakecleaner,or other solvents like carbon tetracloride,or laquer thinner!.:crazy: Whatever happenned to the good old days,when everything had a metal case??(probably too many electrocution victims?:confused: )..

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya thats what i was thinkin, not as destructive as that old school carb cleaner(you know that stuff in teh white and red 5 gallon bucket, that stuff would eat its own bucket) but still pretty not good for plastic, A buddy of mine in auto shop in HS, got all pissed when he pulled his carb out of the bucket and all the plastic and rubber pices were gone, he thought somebody stole them, i had to explain to him they got "ate":D pretty funny stuff

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we're always bitching at the Crap On guy because they went to these gay soft handles.. all my stuff is the oldschool hardplastic that you can scrub down with lacquer thinner. tho i have a pick set that is the soft handle, i haven't tried thinner on em yet, but i suspect they wont hold up as well to that...

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What years were the good plastic used? Mines old, but I don't know if it's the good plastic, or the bad plastic.
    Maybe I will just use air to try to clean it out...

17. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

They have electric motor cleaner in an airisol can also....:D

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You can also get electrical contact cleaner in an aerosol can. It's basically alcohol with propellant. Dries without any residue. You can even use that stuff on computer equipment without any troubles. I've used it a few times on delicate electronics with no ill effects.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I will look for electric contact cleaner. Where could I get it?

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

at a parts store

I've seen it at Auto Zone and Pep Boys--CRC brand "Electra-Motive" cleaner...:crazy: