Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grinder Problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 19, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, One of my dads grinders has a 5" grinding disc on, and went to use it the other day, so I fired 'er up and noticed it spinning weirdly. So I turned it off and noticed somehow the disc wore out in an oval type shape. It looks like one side is almost toast, and the other is almost new. I'm very confused on this. Any help would be great. Sorry if this is not the appropriate forum /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Probably broke the edge off the grinding wheel, just replace it... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

replace it, ive destroyed a 1/4" grinding disk in about 2 hours of srtaight grinding once. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Probably broke the edge off the grinding wheel, just replace it... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn, never thought about it breaking off.. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    replace it, ive destroyed a 1/4" grinding disk in about 2 hours of srtaight grinding once. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can wear them out alot quicker than that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've worn out a new 7" wheel in half an hour- Thats really leaning on the grinder though. Just as much wornm out wheel dust coming out as there is sparks. It's a mess. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

Yea I was going to say a good day of grinding and I have burned up 3 7 in wheels and 5 4.5 in wheels they are cheap and easy to replace so you better get used to changing them out. sounds like youres tried blowing apart it happens be sure not to drop them that is usually what causes that.. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not to sound stupid but always unplug a grinder before you try to change a wheel, even if you think it's "safe" not to do so.

9. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif you would think by now they would be smart enough to know that are they would already be missing fingers... /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to sound stupid but always unplug a grinder before you try to change a wheel, even if you think it's "safe" not to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, my dad taught me to always unplug power tools when changing something like a grinding disc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif