Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grinder question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Dec 21, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I really need to fix my grinder, it's been held up for months because I can't find the connecters. On the end there is a little connecter with a hole in for the screw, I got 2 sizes but they are both the wrong ones. Can I connect the old wires (that have the connectors on) with the new wire I am using for a cord? The way I would do it is strip the plastic sleeve off, and twist the 2 wires together, then sauder them together. Will that be okay?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

please describe problem better?:xmas:

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you can patch in your new cord to the old one using some butt connectors or solder them. just make sure you shrink tube or black tape them up individually.. not the recommended method, but it'll work...

if the ring terminal connectors you got for the new cord are too small, you can carefully ream the hole out a little to fit a bigger screw..

if these
    [​IMG]

are what you need, and don't have the right size, they should be readily available at any auto parts store... try to get the good ones with built in glue and shrink tube. much better than the hard plastic ones... i use http://www.dearborn-cdt.com/ products for most of my electrical connectors.. quality stuff.. or you could check out Painless, i'm sure they have em....

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL sorry...
    ummm a few months ago I cut the cord off the 5" grinder because the cord was wrecked. So last month I went and got a new plug and cord for it from home depot. I come home and go to fix it and I need 2 "ring connectors" to attach the white and black wire to the grinder. So I bought some connectors yesterday, but they are the wrong ones because the hole for where the little screw goes is to big. I needs a smaller hole. SOooooo... can I (is it called splice?) the old wires with the new wires until I can find the right "ring connectors" ? I need to use this grinder because I have (5) 5" cut off discs, and NO 4.5" cut of discs.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I got connectors like the ones pictured, but the hole is too big, so when I put the screw through it onto the grinder, it wiggles a whole bunch. The place I got them only has the big ones, and small square ones with a TINY hole in. Any other place will just hose me with the prices...

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes you can splice ans solder the wires together, just make shure to shrink wrap them:xmas:

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What is shrink wrapping? I have black electrical tape, will that work?

8. ryoken

hell, send me your addy and i'll mail ya an assortment... got tons of that stuff... what gauge wire, 14? you want blues...

either way, yes a splice is fine.. ugly, but functional..:grin:

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

yes just wrap it up real good, shrink wrap is a heat sensitive tube that you slip on a splice heat it up and it shrinks to form a thight seal over the wire:xmas:

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't know what guage of wire it is, I think it's 16 or 14, i'm not sure...
    How much money will it cost? I'll PM you my addy in a few minutes...

surpip, okay I will wrap it up real good. I'm just going to do this for a few grinds, until i can find the right connectors.
    Thanks

11. ryoken

freebie, don't worry about it... and yeah, black electrical tape is fine...

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

dont worry about it to much dude, ive had to do this to alot of skill saw cords, that stupid people have cut through, they hold up for a long time with no problems if done right:xmas:

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow! That's awesome! Thanks sooo much!
    Well, I got it spliced up, and got it all put together (took me an hour and a half; had to take it apart 3 times because I kept forgetting to put some things on)
    I fired itt up and didn't die, so thats a plus, but when I turn it off, it keeps going. What have I done now???????????

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Find you a couple of washers to put under the screw heads, then thru the connectors and tighten it up

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The screw is only long enough to go through the connector, and screw into the body. It's a tiny screw.
    I ended up splicing the old and new wires together...