Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grinding brake caliper (not d60)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by perp, Sep 8, 2005.

1. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I have a 2005 Dodge Dually 4x4 and it has 17" wheels. I am having a real problem finding tires for this truck, as it requires MINIMUM 17" wheel fot the rear brake calipers (maybe front to, have not looked yet). problem is in 17 and 18 the only tires 35-37" tall are all 12.5" wide. I am not afraid of using spacers in the back, but at 12.5 wide there is rubbing issues with the front four link bars and cutting of the tires on the rear from the u bolt plate. i have looked at a truck like mine with these exact problems (same set up i am looking at 6"lift 37x12.5x17 BFG mud) so i am trying to avoid this. If I could clear a 16" wheel, then I have a much bigger selection of tire to work with like a SSR 35"x10.5x16.
    Anyone know of someone who has tried to shave the calipers on a new dodge for 16" wheels?
    I paid an a$$ load for this truck and don't want to start destroying stuff if it isn't going to work anyway.

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I don't think that you can grind enough off. IIRC there is a vain on both sides of the caliper. What tire size are you looking for in a 16" that will fit so perfect?

3. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I need a tire 10.5" wide. there is nothing in that size for the 17" wheel, but Super Swamper does make a SSR 35 x 10.5 x 16