Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grinding dana 60 calipers to fit 15' rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudologist, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Mudologist

Mudologist Registered Member

grinding dana 60 calipers to fit 15\' rims

I heard about grinding the calipers on a dana 60 front axle to fit 15 inch tires. I got a 8 lug 15 inch rim from my buddy with 4 inches of backspacing
    as a guide and I started grinding my calipers. I stoped half way because it seamed like I had to take alot off but it looks as though
    it might work. I am also thinking about getting a 8 lug rim with 3 1/2 inches of backspacing because I will have to remove less material.
    Did anyone do this or heard of anyone who did? Do you know what size backspacing I need on my rim?
    I want to install 39.5 Boggers and they don't come in a 16inch and 16.5 I will probally blow a bead because I do serious rockcrawling.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: grinding dana 60 calipers to fit 15\' rims

Why not look into Weld Racing SR series wheels?

They are a two-piece forged wheel and come in ANY backspacing you want.

Thats right, ANY backspacing!!!

The have backspacings starting at 2" and running all the way up to 8".

So, if you were to get some rims in the 15" and around 14" or even 16" wide, you could run the 2" or 3" backspacing and still be good with very minor grinding.

I have seen MANY of the wheels with the 2" backspacing and huge tires on 8 lug axles before. Even on the D60's.

Give Weld a call at 1-800-676-9353, or log onto <a target="_blank" href=http://weldracing.com>weldracing.com</a>.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Just got done grinding one side last night. About 1/4inch of material is minimum. I think the key is to get the material off in the right place. I used gear marking compound to see where I needed to grind. Did this over, over, and over, until it was right. Be sure and check the fit with the wheel torque on, so as to see what really will and won't rub. I'll take pictures today. It really isn't that much material off the caliper when you consider the size of the darn thing. I didn't have to grind any off or rear due to 1.5" wheel spacers. Rims are 15X12 for 39.5 boggers. Note, get a big grinder. I have been using a 4.5 inch for most stuff, but now own a 7", time is a commodity I am short on, so worth the 100 bucks.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. Mudologist

Cool, send me them pics so I can see if I'm on the right track. Also what size backspacing is on the rim your using?

5. Mudologist

Weld wheel's are a little on the expensive side. I am looking into a power black, white or even chrome steel wheel. It's going to see alot of contact with rocks and aluminum will crack and chip. If I was going to spend about $150-$200 a wheel I would get MRT beadlock wheels

6. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

4 inch backspacing. All is well. Pictures to you tomorrow via email. Give me email. I might post them on my member's ride.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

7. Mudologist

8. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Post them in your member's ride album!!!

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have a picture of a d60 caliper ground for a 15x10 wheel with 4 1/8" backspacing. Email me if you want it cdemdec26@cs.com