Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grinding for 15x10's on 8 lug D44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jul 1, 2001.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

grinding for 15x10\'s on 8 lug D44

How much grinding did ya'll have to do to get your 15" wheels to fit up front? Is there a difference in the amount of grinding between the 10 bolt and the D44? Do ya'll have any before and after pics of the grinding?

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</A>

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Re: grinding for 15x10\'s on 8 lug D44

Let's put it this way, when you think your done grinding? Keep grinding. And when you think you've gone too far? Keep grinding. And then when you think, There's no more you can take off? Go have a soda, then come back and keep grinding! In other words it's a lot. I did take a pic of two backing plates side by side but it didn't come out very good. I might have my front tire off again soon so I'll try to take another pic. As Far as to the difference between a d44 and a 10blt, I don't think there is much difference. Some of the guys here say it only took them a couple of hours to do both sides, but it took me a couple of hours to do each side. And 2 grinding wheels. Of coarse I don't have a real expensive grinder which may make the difference.
    Oh and one last thing. When your grinding, the dust gets everywhere! Make sure you either cover everything up or wash everything around you when you done. Reason being is when I was done, It was in the evening so I left everything alone untill morning. Well when I came out the next morning the whole side of my truck had a redish tint to it. What had happened, was that the little particles of steel got on the side of the truck and had rusted with the overnight dew. I washed it off immediately, but it still left some in the cracks.
    Good luck!!!!

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<f

3. Big_Ugly_Diesel

Big_Ugly_Diesel Registered Member

It only took me a couple of hours to do both sides of my Dana 44 eight lug. The best thing to do is grind then put the wheel on to see how much more you have to grind and do this over and over until it fits.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I don't mean to steal this post, but I currently have 10b's and am looking to put a Dana 44 up front when I get the 14b ff in the rear.... I thought I had to just get 8 lug rims and I'd be fine..... I wanted to stay with 15"x10" size because they'll fit my tires... but will these rims fit on the axle? Or will I need to go up 16" rims or what? I don't wanna be grinding things off.... but I want things to fit... thanks....

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just take yer time, don't get frustrated, and remember it has been done sucessfully by a lot of people here...including myself. It does seem like you are taking way too much off but you're not.

The big thing is to use a bare rim for trial fitting. I had my tires already mounted and damn near wore myself out fiting up the tire and rim about 50 times...[​IMG]

When yer done, hose down the truck and driveway...I had the same experience as Estaban...my entire carport turned rusty red!

Don't worry about the caliper or the backing plate, they are both very thick and can safely take the material loss for rim fitment.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

that bare rim is a good idea...i wish i would of used it....THATS probably the worst part....mounting and dimounting the tire to see if enough has been ground....kicked my arse!!!

AIRBORNE!!

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Cool... Well I think I might go ahead and give this a shot [​IMG]. But your sure that grinding won't make the calipers weak enough to induce failure?

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</A>

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

ChevyCaGal... To answer your question... yes you will have to grind on the front axle. They will fit fine on the 14 but not the front. I was thinking about going 16" also but I think grinding will be the best choice because of tire availability of R15's.

89 K5 Silverado

9. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

it has a lot to do with your backspacing . With 3" of backspacing you will not have to grind too much. Stephen from ORD used a belt sander to do it. I think it's a 1/8" or something. Put a post to him on the ORD page and he'll be able to give you more info.
    Jon

10. tRustyK5

I ground mine about 6 months ago...no failures at all. I think Chris (BigGrey71)did his even longer ago. Hell i towed another K5 2500 miles with the calipers that way and they are still just like normal.
    I probably have 8-10,000 miles on em since the grind job.

Rene

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You do have to grind, and no it doesn't pose any issues. I've heard you've got to do some serious grinding on D60s to make them fit, but you still see it done. I'd do it. I like having the choice of 15s or 16s. I wish they made aluminum wheels in 15x10, 8 on 6.5 though!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. tRustyK5

I'm pretty sure the only reason they don't make aluminum rims in a 15" 8 bolt is the thickness of the rim material...

Rene...ugly is good![​IMG]

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My next door neighbor had a set of 15" alum. wheels for 8 lug. They do exist but will only fit on old drum brake axles.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have alsop been considering this and would like a before/after pic..anyone got some???

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

15. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

So wait.... I'm looking to buy 15"x10" rims 8 lug to fit my axles when I upgrade... but you guys said they are hard to come by? Is this right or was this refering to something else? Seems like this is turning into a way expensive project for me to be considering anymore if this is the case....

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

16. tRustyK5

15x10's in a 8 bolt pattern are easy to find and not expensive. Steel wheels are your only option though...

Rene

17. Esteban86K5

I got all four wheels, caps, 32 lug nuts, mounted and balanced for $280. I don't think that's a bad price for new rims.

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

18. tRustyK5

I found a set almost by accident. They were near new...4 of em for $50. Thats canadian pesos too...roughly $35 US for all 4.[​IMG]

Rene

19. Esteban86K5

Now that's a good price!![​IMG]

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

20. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Yep its easy (well, for me it was. I did it before I installed the axle). Just make sure you have a bare rim to do it with, not one with a tire on it because this takes a lot of trial fitting. I've done this on my d44 HD and my dad did it on his dana 60. He has the same wheels as me (American Racing white wagon 15x10 4 1/8" backspace) and he has no clearance issues either. I used a Black & Decker 4" grinder but I do like that beltsander idea. The first caliper takes forever because you dont know how far to grind. Also make sure you cover your truck because the metal shavings fly everywhere and rust quickly. My driveway was orange for a week [​IMG] ! The pictures of my calipers came out like crap but if anyone wants to see the d60 calipers just send me an email. </font color=blue>