Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grinding noise from tranfer case or tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Dan, Nov 26, 2002.

1. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

when I let off the gas I here grinding when I push gas no grinding sounds like transfer case or tranny Help!!!!!!!

2. Hank75

Hank75 Registered Member

i have the same issue with my truck? on gass no noise off gas grinding. anyone know whats going on?
    i have 350 th350 203 75 blazer

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

havent got to play with it much i guess it could be drive shaft anyone help

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

at all speeds or only low speeds?

What xfer case do you have?

208.... hmmmm

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Dan: Check your t-case shifter linkage adjustment and/or t-case mounts. The 208 shifter mounts to the floor. When under load the t-case will raise up slightly, especially if the mounts are worn out. If this is happening and the shifter is out of adjustment it may be pulling on the lever on the t-case and trying to go into 4wd when it comes back down under decceleration.

Hank: Has your 203 been converted from part-time? If not, it might be that the chain is loose and slipping when you let off the gas.

Of course there could also be some other problem with either truck such as a worn differential or gears transmitting noise through the driveshaft. Or it could also be worn ujoint(s) making noise.

6. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

thanks I will check all the above /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Hank75

Hank75 Registered Member

thanks for the reply
    my 203 has been converetd to partime
    gears are brand new and ujoints will be replace soon hopefully that does it

8. scoobydoo2684

scoobydoo2684 Newbie

I get a grinding noise as well except it happens when i shift into reverse. after about 5 seconds it stops. it will also do it at random times while driving. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same problem with my truck.I thought it was the tranny(4 speed) so I tore it out ans replaced it with an auto and a new transfer.Low and behold I finished up the install and the noise was still there!The pinion bearings were shot.The noise transfers up the drive line really well and its hard to tell where it was coming from.Just be sure to check your rear end before tearing into anything.Very expensive oops,but I learned alot......