Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grinding noise in 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by callmewaylon, May 23, 2005.

1. callmewaylon

callmewaylon Registered Member

I've got an '82 K25. While pulling a trailer with an 8000 lb skid loader on it out of a field last night I started to hear a grinding noise coming from the driver's side of my front axle(10 bolt 8 lug). The noise only comes when I've got it locked into 4low or high and get on the gas. It's fine if I use a light throttle, then when I get on the gas, it grinds. I jacked the driver's side up and checked things out. I locked both hubs and moved the wheel back and forth. I don't see any play in the u-joint as this was my first guess. The wheel bearings seem fine as well with no play. Does any body have any guesses as to what is wrong or what I should look for as I tear into it??

2. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Have you checked your spindle bearings? It's a good place to start and not that hard, you can even repack your bearings while your at it.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You were in 4WD, correct?

Maybe a broken axle....?

Can you block each front wheel seperately under load in 4WD and have someone stand close to each wheel and listen/watch....?

4. callmewaylon

The axle is fine, the ujoint seems fine, the wheel bearings are still tight, so it can't be them, so I'm thinking it must be the milemarker hubs slipping??
    Any other ideas??

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a suburban do the same thing. One of the hubs was slipping. It tore up the splines between the locking hub and the hub/rotor assembly. Another thing I would check is for a worn out front slip yoke. Under load a stock front slip yoke won't sound very loud if the splines are loose.

6. callmewaylon

I took the hubs all apart and they are fine. Everything seems to be in good shape, so I think it is probably the spindle bearings. Does anyone know if any of the parts stores sell a complete kit with all the seals and spindle bearings included??

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds to me like you need to check your transfercase because you probly have a 208 or a 203 which are chain driven and sometimes the snap rings break and can cause a grind and so can a loose chain. I hope this helps.

8. callmewaylon

I highly doubt it is the transfer case. The sound is coming from the driver side front wheel area. If it was a transfer case problem, it would be coming from below the seat!! Also, does any one know-If my spindle bearings are bad, is it ok to keep driving the truck as long as I don't put it into 4x4?? Will the little pieces make their way to the wheel bearings??

9. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you have locking hubs you shouldnt have a problem

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've known guys that swore a grinding noise was coming from their transmission only to have the rear axle blow up a couple weeks later when they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the tranny (or worse yet just changed it to find no problem). My point being that sound travels thru the drivelines to other area's and will actually resinate at another location throwing you off on the sound. To truely pinpoint the source you should have someone on the outside of the rig when it makes the noise.

Did you pull the axleshafts to check them?

11. callmewaylon

No, I haven't pulled the axle yet. I'm in the process of building a house so I don't have time for much else. I'm just trying to decide whether or not I have to tear into it before I head up north this weekend. If it is just the spindle bearings, it sounds like as long as I don't put it in 4x4 or lock the hubs, I'll be alright.

12. 79chevyk10

Your local parts store will sell the spindle bearing kit. Part number is SBK1 under federal Mogal (I think it's federal mogal). I go though spindle bearings about once a year with alot of 4 wheeling and deep creek crossings. Keep in mind you will only hear the spindle bearings in 4wd only.

13. callmewaylon

Do you think the bad spindle bearings will have chewed up the outer axle shaft??

14. 79chevyk10

It's possible but I bet you can clean it up with some emery cloth if its not to bad.

I've had spindle bearing go to powder and the axle was usable.

Have you torn it apart yet to see them. It's only six nuts holding it on after the hub with rotor has been taken off.

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe you busted your spider gears or chipped a tooth off the ring or pinion..
    but you said its coming from the drivers side, so i'd suspect an axle.
    I'd just jack up one side at a time on the front and try to wiggle the tire from top to bottom. if you have no play and it spins alright then your wheel bearings aren't trashed yet.
    i've ruined a spindle and outer stub axle when a wheel bearing siezed and broke apart.

... if all else fails and you can't figure out what the noise is.. just throttle down and hammer on it some more until it breaks. then you can be relieved that you now know what 'that' sound was. :rotfl:

16. callmewaylon

I think I finally figured out what's up with my truck. I took the whole driverside apart and replaced a stiff ujoint and repacked and checked all the bearings and all were fine. I thought the ujoint was the problem, but it still makes the noise. I got to thinking and realized I hadn't really used 4wd since installing the BDS 2.5" lift. I think the front driveshaft is rubbing on the tranny crossmember. I believe this beacause it only makes the noise going forward and not in reverse. I think that the torque from the motor or whatever is pushing it down enough to rub. It looks pretty close the the crossmember