Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Grinding rear driveline

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrownK5, Jan 10, 2006.

1. BrownK5

BrownK5 Registered Member

i lifted my 79 6" less then a week ago and busted my 2nd u joint today. i looked at the joint and it appears that the needle bearings came out of one of the sleeves and is siiting at an angle instead of straight. it looks like the driveline is hitting the tranny bolt up spot, puching the joint out everytime they hit. i heard to solve this you have to grind both down so that they do not hit anymore. has anyone done this?

2. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

im a bit of a novice at truck driveline angles but it sounds to me like the 6in lift has put to much of an angle on the driveshafts and is overstressing the u-joints. hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post soon, but i believe a fix for your problem is to shim the rear axle to correct for the angle and to lower the transfer case to aleive the problem.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Pics would be helpful. The above post is probably correct. Are you putting the "c" clips in the caps? Are the ears of the dshaft and the tcase yoke hitting?

4. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

is your t-case dropped at all? That will help with angles/grinding issues. I had them when i had 7" and did grind out the d-shaft some to resolve those issues. Ive never broken a joint but most of what i do involves mud/dirt/grass and not rocks or anything with real traction.

5. BrownK5

BrownK5 Registered Member

my transfer case is in the stock location. my 4" blocks are angled, so the pinion isnt to bad, the rear u joint has no problems at all. this is all on a daily driver/ weekend wheeler. thanks for anymore help, i have to get this thing back on the road asap.