Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grinding?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Aug 21, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Do I need to grind to fit 15x10s with 3.5" backspacing of a 8-lug? I know you have to with 4 1/8" but how about 3.5"? Or do I have to go to 2.5" backspacing?

Dan

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Prolly a little bit on the outer edge of the caliper support, amd any high spots on the edge of the caliper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You will probably have to grind some to get a 3.5" BS rim on. I had to do quite abit of grinding for my 15x8's with 4.125" BS. I had to grind both the backing plate and also the caliper itself. I found the backing plate to be more of the problem then the caliper. Also grind with more then one wheel when you test fit.

I ground for a specific rim, and when I went to rotate my tires and I had to grind again because of the little differences in the rims. The second grinding session I had to do with a hand file though because my angle grinder was in AZ and I was in Colorado. That sucked.

Harley

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am trying to make it so I dont have to grind. This is going to be my tow tig and I will travel with it out of the state. The last thing I want is for a caliper to go bad, need to replace it on the side of the road, and cant because I have to grind to make the wheel fit. If I have to grind I will put 16s on it, but have a set of 33x12.50r15 MTR around.

Dan

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

If you have to go to 16" rims and tires so you don't have to grind, what about having a couple extra brake calipers pre-ground as spares? I would thing that could be done pretty cheap, and then be able to use the tires you already have.