Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

grooves around trans input shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Dec 23, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

okwhats it mean if theres a couple or three grooves cut into and around the input shaft of manual trans ? its soem kind of wear, currently a new clutch pack and plate and throwout bearing reside on the input of the trans in question, a three speed manual saginaw

what caused it and how and whats the fix ?

thanks

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

pilot bearings, inside diameter

ok 80s solid stock type pilot bearings, 80s style, is there more than one pilot bearing inside diameter/trans input outside diameter ?

what the deal is is that i have an input shaft from an early 70s or late 60s three speed and i use it to press out pilot bearings and align clutches, well on the 84 with 250ci three speed trans the shaft i use was a bit smaller than the pilot bearing on the truck, pretty sloppy, so much so that using the grease packing trick to remove the bearing would not work and the shaft would fall out of the bearing when using it to align the clutch

i though all older GM rwd used same pilot bearing size and such ?

what is going on ?

i mean i got it all done and engine in and truck runs drives great other than engine mounts worn out

thanks

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I think they are all the same?

As far as I know chevy used the same brass pilot bushing in all the sixes and V-8's,at least up until the late 80's....yours might just be worn in the I.D.??

I've seen some GM truck manual tranny's with two grooves in the input shaft,where the clutch disc splines are--not sure why they are there,they almost look like snap ring grooves--some of the muscle car muncie 4 speeds had them too,they identified the close ratio VS wide ratio trannys by the grooves--do your look like damage from something,or are they machined into it,like a snap ring groove??.:crazy:

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes some car manuals have the grooves or a groove but never seen or heard of a truck saginaw three speed having any, ever, or muncie either(69 older and sm318)

the two grooves you are talking about sounds exactly what i see on my input shaft however

thanks

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anyone got anything else to add ?

also why do these mid 80s stamped steel fork arms just barely sit in the throwout bearing like this ? cant believ eit will stay put and not slip off the bearing groove, the arm is securely snapped on the pivot stud in bellhousing however

i am used to the old cast iron style bellhousing and fork arms of 72 older where the bearing is really on that arm big time

hum

thanks