Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ground Hawgs are they any good

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazin72, Jan 18, 2001.

1. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I have a question I can get a set of Ground hawgs for my 72 K5 the size is 35-14-15 price $250 for all four and they are brand new. I was curious if they are worth even buying even at this price I need some tire soon and the price is tempting. Whats the pros and cons.
    I dont drive long distances to work and I will be pulling my race car to the track every once and awhile during the summer. The trip is about 45 minutes will these tires be a problem? Also I got a new for inch lift that these will go under will they even work.
    A friend of mine is running 35 on his 89 K5 with a 4 inch lift his rubs when in a tight spot. I wont be off road that much.

Thanks for any info
    Blazin 72

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I had them in the early '80's and wouldn't buy them now due to the way they followed the road to much.. I know people that still have them though.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok, Are they radial or nonradial? If they are radials, go get em. If they are non radials and you really dont go off road that often, i wouldnt bother. If you would go off road more often than "not often" i would say GO for it. They are a really good performing tire, but the non radials on pavement can be a little, uh rough, and a little, uh, noisy.

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!
    Check out the Shag-site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    nuthin like a heavy chevy!

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

My bud has Hawgs in the same size...they wear like iron even tho' he has 2 summers on them. They hang in there purty good ....ain't no TSL's but they'll do the job.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just exploring the depth and texture of this mudhole for a while"

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have one tire just like what you are looking at. It would make an excellent spare. The lugs are very deep and tall. Its the same size you are getting. Let me know if you need a spare.

6. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

The ground hawgs will last the longest on the road. TSL's work better offroad but wear out faster. You can cut the center channel out of a hawg and it's a much better tire offroad