Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ground hawgs...good price??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Aug 7, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Just found some Ground hawgs...38.5x15x15 for only 155 ea /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif now b4 I freak out and throw probably over 700 bucks on my credit card (thank god they upped my limit /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) is this a good price?? and are these pretty good tires?? I mainly plan on mud, and trails, and some rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif OR should I just scour the boards for some used 38's?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ground hawgs don;t do good with rocks, PM Z3PR, he knows ALOT about ground hawg tires,,, and he runs them

3. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for tires also, thought about hawgs. Only thing about them is that they are directional. So, if you're stuck, you are not backing out. A lot of people do run them though and they have been around a long time so they must be good tires.

-Chris

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ground Hawgs suck.

That is a good price if you want Ground Hawgs, if it is shipped to your door at that price.

That said I hope you have the axles to back up the tires otherwise you'll end up regretting pouring your money into tires.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Z3PR says they work in reverse I thought...
    they are real hard tread compound so they wear excellent on the street, but don't flex on the rocks. Thats a good price, usually they are EXPENSIVE! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    Ground Hawgs suck.

That is a good price if you want Ground Hawgs, if it is shipped to your door at that price.

That said I hope you have the axles to back up the tires otherwise you'll end up regretting pouring your money into tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

14bolt and a dana44 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    at least they arnt 10 bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking for tires also, thought about hawgs. Only thing about them is that they are directional. So, if you're stuck, you are not backing out. A lot of people do run them though and they have been around a long time so they must be good tires.
    -Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I run dunes alot too...so I have heard that if u reverse them they actually do very well in sand too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have heard a few bad things bout them...for 155 ea...thats not too bad a price...but i gotta find out what the shipping will cost cuz that might ruin the deal /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    Ohh and if yer lookin for them they are at Tyres1

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

D44 and 10 bolt fronts are about equal in strength. 38's and a D44 are doable but you better be ready to break stuff and replace ball joints. If you have lockers you are even at more risk of breakage.

A D44 isn't going to take the abuse of 38's if you use it offroad. It isn't a matter of if it will break, but when.

It might work ok for awhile if you are nice on the skinny pedal but if you get on it you better have the parts to fix it or be prepared to walk home.

Harley

9. Hossbaby50

If you run dunes and jump your truck at all you better carry spare knuckles and ball joints. They will be trashed very quickly. If you want to play hard with 38's get some kingpins.

Harley

10. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Z3PR says they work in reverse I thought...
    they are real hard tread compound so they wear excellent on the street, but don't flex on the rocks. Thats a good price, usually they are EXPENSIVE! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell much difference in the performance of mine in reverse. They go through mud better than my swampers. I have never had them on rocks, but I doubt they would do very well since the tread is sort of continuous. I bought mine for $550 with wheels, they were only ran in a mud bog twice.

11. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ground Hawgs suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    D44 and 10 bolt fronts are about equal in strength. 38's and a D44 are doable but you better be ready to break stuff and replace ball joints. If you have lockers you are even at more risk of breakage.

A D44 isn't going to take the abuse of 38's if you use it offroad. It isn't a matter of if it will break, but when.

It might work ok for awhile if you are nice on the skinny pedal but if you get on it you better have the parts to fix it or be prepared to walk home.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ya but dont u only really get breakage with rock crawlin?? Im pretty easy on my truck compared to alot of people I know...and as far as dunes go, I dont really plan on jumpin...dont really feel the need to bust my axle tube...If I want big air in the sand I'll just hop on my Dirtbike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif More then likely actually I'll prolly be jumpin the truck...well OVER the truck I should say!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

you break parts in every type of wheeling.

14. Hossbaby50

Some types of wheeling are harder then others. Rocks are usually pretty hard on parts yes. I run rocks with my 10 bolt front and I carry alot of parts.

Wheeling in loose stuff that can sometimes provide lots of traction unexpectedly is worse then rock crawling can be. When it is muddy or slik and you have to use wheel spin it can be even worse on part then when you rockcrawl.

If it is light wheeling then it can work for awhile. But regular maintanence is the key and carry spare parts and the tools to fix what you break. If you keep everything in good order you will have a better shot at making 38's last for awhile. If you don't service the axle, change the balljoints, check the axleshaft ujoints, etc then you will be in for a long day of wheeling.

Harley

15. smprider112

If u break a front axle shaft...cant u still limp off the trail? since they are freefloating? I do plan to get some extra front axles tho...cuz I really dont wanna have something breaking be the end of my trip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just found some Ground hawgs...38.5x15x15 for only 155 ea /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif now b4 I freak out and throw probably over 700 bucks on my credit card (thank god they upped my limit /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) is this a good price?? and are these pretty good tires?? I mainly plan on mud, and trails, and some rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif OR should I just scour the boards for some used 38's?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That's a great price for a great tire. Are the bias or radials ??? As far as not being able too back up in the mud, Gee, never had that problem, but I have seen some guys running the fronts reversed, looked alittle funny to me, but it works for them I guess. I know some guys running Hawgs on the rocks and are doing okay also. People who say they suck are the people who've never ran them, so take that for what it's worth. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif