Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ground hawgs opinions??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Aug 23, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

What do yall think about them?? tyres1 has a very good sell on them, I am looking at the 38x15x15, I know they are good in the mud but how are they on the rocks?? I hear they are a hard compound so they will last long on the street and that is what they mostly will see.
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yea they are hard compound, i personally have never tried them. i have a friend who has a set on his truck, his are groved like a TSL and they seem to do good. have another friend who has some bald ones, he does good inthe mud also, he doesn't have enough motor to spin them with mud on them though

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think they would be good for mud, and a DD... not rocks...

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Never had mine in on any rocks but I do like like them. They last a long time on the pavement and are good in mud.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They need to stay in mud, all the time. If I had a truck with ground hawgs I would just leave it at the end of a mud pit, walk out to where it was, drive through the mud, and leave it there.

I really don't even know why garbage like that is still on the market.

6. 85mudblazin

eeekkk so scrap that idea, man I wish Goodyear would come out with more sizes for a 15" rim, guess its back to the SSR's.
    -Chris

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

IROKS /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. 85mudblazin

Those really dont wear good on the street!!!

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL I was just pullin' your feathers...
    SSR's are goood /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. 85mudblazin

Ijust wish they werent so expensive, all well ill have to save my pennies. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My buddy had a set... great in mud, so so in dry dirt, and the worst tires I have ever seen in my life in the snow. An absolute joke...

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

your lucky, I live in Canada so the prices are 20% more or something like that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My buddy had a set... great in mud, so so in dry dirt, and the worst tires I have ever seen in my life in the snow. An absolute joke...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's Z3PR when you need him? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've ran Ground Hawg's on a few truck. I've checked into other brands, but alway buy the Hawg's. I've ran them year round and I like them. I'm not into rocks so I can't give you first hand experence for that, but I have seen a few rigs on the rocks with them and they didn't have anymore problem then most of the other rigs on other tires. I mostly play in the mud, and run trails up in the forest. The biggest + for me is that Ground Hawg's will out last 90% of any other tire on the market. I use Ground Hawg's and I like them alot. No complaints what so ever about Ground Hawg's. Great tire, been around for a long time, because it works well !!!!!!!!!! To bad Tim-may can't understand that. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I just bought those same ones from tyres1 ....couldnt pass that deal up!! I ran them last week at the TSF ck5/pirate get together, both topdown and shane74 can attest that they did awesome on my rig!! even better then shanes hybrid TSL racing slicks /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif but I was on hard dirt that was really dry and slick!! almost like running on marbles and mine did GREAT at 15psi!!! I would deffinently recommend these to anyone who does trails!! I think they'd do pretty good on rocks too, I'll have to find out next time!!

16. 85mudblazin

If they were good in the rocks I would buy them but I just dont know wish someone would chime in who has experience with these tires in the rocks, cause evryone says they suck.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

they are made of a hard compound compared to interco's tires which are a very sticky soft compound. so interco's tires will do much better on the rocks!

18. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I really don't even know why garbage like that is still on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they will go where your Swampers can't, in the SWAMP! This pic is in bottomless gumbo clay mud, and yes - your Swampers would get you stuck.

[​IMG]

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're on crack if you think a ground hawg will take you anywhere in mud that a swamper will not. Swampers have a better void ratio than Ground Hawgs and just as big of lugs on the side.

If you were really interested in playing in mud 24/7 you'd run Boggers anyway, but there is no question in my mind that TSLs will outperform Ground Hawgs in the mud.

20. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I own BOTH, I think I should know... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif