Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ground Hawgs Vs Boggers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Dec 6, 2002.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

I looking at picking up a used set of 44" Ground Hawgs or Boggers. I am running only mud. From deep thick pits to watery mud(all types). No rocks at all. Will Ground Hawgs work just as good as Boggers. And also will cut Ground Hawgs greatly increase preformance. I was running 38" Hawgs and I think they worked good and lasted awhile due to them being a harder compound. Eastern boys give me your input.
    Thanks is advance.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I am not in the east but I have been in muddy places in different parts of the world.
    My advise to you goes like this:
    If you have the sloppy gooey mud, the bogger is better because it will work like paddles and the soft compound makes it easier when you hit a hard spot since it will flex on it.
    In the thick slippery mud (clay) you are better off with a hard compound that will digg and claw better than a softer one like the bogger which would not scrape any.
    Just my experience.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Will Ground Hawgs work just as good as Boggers

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

4. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

They have always been the best, time and time and time again in the mud. Boggers are unrivaled in their paddle-based tread design... nothing even comes close. At least in my experiences boggers have been proven countless times. They apply more lateral (lateral not vertical) pressure than any DOT approved tire on the market... just look at the tread depth. The only thing more effective in the mud might be some sort of tractor tire or custom chiseled creation. The only thing a hawg has got over a bogger is longevity. They are made of rubber as hard as concrete, and will last a lot longer.

5. cpwreaper

cpwreaper Registered Member

hes right! i would take boggers over hawgs anyday. you cant beat the paddle type tread of the boggers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

If you put hawgs on your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif just hope you never have to back through any mud!! Go with the boggers!

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I love the Boggers as well. But I've had some bad luck with Boggers while trying to go back /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Not from the east, but there is some good mud in Texas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Go with boggers, that's what everyone here runs that take mud seriously

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

i would go with the boggers, but if you really want hawgs, I'll sell you mine so i can get boggers!!

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If you are going to stay with a DOT approved tire, go with the boggers. Unreal performance in the mud.

11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

If they are the same price, go with the boggers. I ran them both. If you do alot of road driving the hawgs will last much longer.

As far as backing up, my 44" hawgs did great in reverse. One down side to boggers, some guys in the bogs do worse when they install 4 boggers. Not enough power to spin them all, so they run regular TSLs on the front.

12. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

Thanks for your posts guys. Some good input. I will go with Boggers. Diesel Dan had a good point about having enough power. I'm currently running a 1971 GMC 366 with a low stall torque converter. I'm able to spin my 40" mudders very well even in the deep stuff but it is no mud racing truck. It works till I get a 454. Does running Tsl's in the front help out with the front end wandering on the road and overall driveability of the truck? It isn't a trailor queen so anything I can do to increase the road manners and run nasty tires I try.
    Thanks again.

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It does. I run TSL's in the front and boggers in the back. It drives much better. If I go do any serious mud, I put the boggers back on the front as I do notice a difference.

14. bogginnut

bogginnut Registered Member

I can't beleive nobody brought up the size difference. A 44 Hawg is about the same size as a 39.5 Bogger. 44 Boggers are way bigger than 44 Hawgs.

Sean

15. s10350power

s10350power Registered Member

Yeah that guy is right the 44 boggers are way bigger then the hogs and are way better in any kind of mud belive me my frind had 40's hogs on a 2003 f-350 deisel and they sucks in snow and id bet they suck in mud