Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ground Hawgs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by durantk5, Mar 31, 2005.

1. durantk5

durantk5 Registered Member

Im in the market for some new tires and was wondering if any of you guys had any experience with ground hawgs? Im looking to get anything from 38's to 40's and cant decide between tsl's and ground hawgs. how do they compare on the road and off? thanks for the input.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Well, since this is an opinion question:
    The Hawgs will last longer due to a harder tread compound. The advantages stop there. I'll take the TSLs any day for better traction. Ride quality is a toss up. Some folks with low power like Hawgs since they are easier to spin. Also, Hawgs tend to run on the short side of the rated size. I got a free 38" Hawg that I was gonna use as a spare...until I put it side by side with a 36" TSL/SX. They were both unmounted and the swapmper was about 1.5" taller...and it was bald compared to 20% tread on the Hawg.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i basically agree w/ 79 beast. hawgs will last longer on road, but that harder compound provides less traction in rocks. hawgs are better suited to low powered rigs, not only are they easier to spin, they dont dig as easily. my truck is pretty weak in the power department, and i have a tough time spinning my tsl's. the more aggressive tread pattern also tends to dig down instead of propel forward. i've gotten stuck in mud a few times by stopping in thick mud, then gunning it. truck instantly buried itself up the the axles. in that situation the less aggressive hawgs would spin without digging as much to get me rolling again.

so basically, it depends on your truck, your driving style, how much you drive onroad, and what type of wheeling you do.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

by the way i just looked at your profile, are you planning on running those tires on the stock 10b axles and 3" of lift? :shocked:

6. durantk5

well this summer im planning to do the whole build up. lift, axles, and so on. but you're right, i wouldnt run them on how my truck is now.

7. durantk5

would you guys suggest bias ply or radial? my k5 is a daily driver but i was wondering if the bias ply holds up good enough on the street. thanks again.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Can you define "afew beers"? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Now, about the Hawgs. I have them and LOVE them. I have 38.5" Hawgs that measure 37" mounted on a wheel but not on the truck. I also have some 36" TSL SX's and they measure right at 36". The Hawgs WILL go through more mud than the TSL SX's. I don't have any rocks or trails around here.

9. RootBreaker

uggg head hurts...
    afew beers.... counted them this morning... 19 cans of MGD!!!

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Geez! That would KILL me! :D

11. RootBreaker

and that was a light day... I still remember parts of last night... :cool1:

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Does anybody know what a 36x14.5x16.5 measures out to? Of course denmans site lists em as measuring a true 36, but shows em running narrow. Im really considering these for my next set of tires, the SSRs are good & all, but they are wearing a little quicker than Id like.....Im thinking the motor might be a little detrimental to my tires.....:D

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hawg's really arn't the best if you do alot of rocks. But if you like mud or trails, they're great. I'm hearing bad things about the radial hawg's, so you might want too stick with the bias ply. I've had 3 trucks with Grounds Hawg's and I've liked them alot.

14. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

my 36in swampers stand 36inches tall when mounted. on the blazer with max psi they stand i would say 35 1/2 :confused:

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

sorry, didnt specify, I meant the Hawgs.

Z3pr-What kinda bad stuff you hearing about the radials? I know at the time I got my SSR's all I heard was the tread blows off, blowouts, chunking, etc. and then suddenly all that disappeared. Think its just a buncha radial haters haha

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

me want to know also please?

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Actually a friend of mine had an SSR blow out on the interstate. I guess it could happen to any tire though, so I'm not saying because of this one case that SSR's are bad. He had 31's, I think about 13.50 wide, and they seemed to last a long time.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Weak sidewalls. The kid I sold the 76 too already needs tires, But I think he didn't trim the fenders enough. I hear the sidewalls are all tore up.

19. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have 44" hawgs. They are VERY old. lots of tread, but thesidewalls are cracking. When I buy new tires, I will NOT buy hawgs. The sidewall are stiff and so is the tread. Good mud tires, but suck for flexing. If you only looking at 38's and do mostly street driving, i would look at some 38" TSL radials. I haven't decided what tire i'm gonna run next. I would like some 44" boggers, but might step down to 42" TSL.

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh I aint worried about rocks, dont encounter them, just trails/mud. Also pounding down the pavement.