Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ground Hawgs ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1HighK5, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Well earlier today I was reading a thread about Ground Hawgs since I didn't want to take it over I figured I'd ask my question. I've looked at the Ground Hawgs alot and like them I hear they wear good on the street and do well off road but they run small o well. I'd probably get the 17x40's. I also really only do alot of beach and sand driving and a little mud woods action. I was also considering the Mickey Thompson Baja Belted because they are big and wide 18x39's and I've seen K5's around me with them and like them alot but do they do compaired to the Ground Hawgs I have herd people say that the Baja belted are a usless off road tire is that the case? Any comments would help thanks.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you have access to a grooving tool I have seen some grooved ground hawgs rule I would get the hawgs

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

From my understanding.. once you groove a tire... no longer DOT approved... does anyone know that around you (cops) as they could fine you? dont know...

personally I live my hawgs... 40x17's run 1" small... if mounted on a 9.75" wide rim like it says on the sidewall.. you will be sitting at roughly 39".... mine are on 12" wide rims and are 38.8" tall...

the reason why I went with the 40's is NJ only allows 38's max now.... however like I just said.. the tire on the right rim brings the size down to the 38.x region which NJ passed.... 3 main factors in my decision for hawgs

1. bought a used pair for the rims to which had alot of dryrott and old... in great shape meaning they wear great
    2. to tell people you have 40's is just sweet... 40's 44's sound close... 38's 33's sound close.... :grin:
    3. 38" hawgs are a true 11" wide and 40's are a true 14" wide.. thus 3" more road surface on each tire.... better stability but will eat the fender if not trimmed..... BIG PLUS for me...
    4. better floatation in the mud
    5. no on the swamper band wagon like everyone else
    6. perform great in sand, great in mud (second best to boggers) ok on rocks

ok so that was more than 3 factors :crazy:

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Hawgs are the worst tire I have ever seen in my life in the snow... but they wear like IRON on the street

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I should have taken some video of my truck going through 2 foot of snow this summer.... oh yeah.. I didnt even touch the throttle... then parked into a 3' snow bank... why .... BECAUSE I CAN CAN CAN :cool1:

6. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

sorry about the highjack. so what is a good place to get hawgs from?, i am also seriously considering them only being able fit 35's (plus what my drivetrain can handle) what tire i have is very crucial to how the rig will work not having the huge size advantage. i mean does it really matter what kind of tire you have when they are 40's as long as its not a racing slick,lol. so i was thinking get the 36's they will be about 35 on my wheels and the traction advantage will be enormous, i would go with boggers but its not a daily driver option. also thinking about whata are called fourwheel rvt's, anyone know ehere to get those?

7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

My muds rock in the deep deep snow, but absolutely suck on packed snow and ice. Most muds type tires do. Hawgs will suck too.

8. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

I do like the Ground Hawgs but I also love the way the Baja Belted tires look can anyone tell me about them how the wear on the street do on sand and trails? love how wide they are

9. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

how do they perform in like backwoods type of deal. like trails (dirt, mud, mild rock, hills etc) i heard they rock in mud though. how do they perform related to TSL's? so sorry to hijack thread

10. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

They wear like s**t. Ask B_to_C from here, he'll tell you all about it.

11. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

www.natltire.com

12. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Dammit man you have 2 feet of snow in the summer ? :what: :D

As far as ground hawgs go they are a great tire for mud and swampy like conditions... A buddy of mine had a set of 44's he run for a few years on the road,mud,snow and ice and they held up good... He has since tried a few different brands of tires and he just bought another new set of hawgs... He said they are the best bang for the buck..

But tires are like condoms everybody likes different rubber to get them in and out of a hole :D

13. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

mud holes and street life is where ground hawgs are at.

i have seen them preform first hand in the mud and i was not dissapointed.

they are very tough tho and i dont see them getting much traction on rocks or anything of that sort.

14. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I heard they are not that great for winter? I'm wondering if siping would help make them better for icy winter road conditions?