Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ground Hawgs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tabb, May 3, 2006.

1. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

Any body out there rollin' on Denman Ground Hawgs? I've Heard there really good tires and you can get alot of miles out of them.

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I've run a couple sets, 40's and 44's they do wear good work good in the mud also not sure about other terrains

3. Tabb

What about road wear? These would not be a good choice for a Daily driver would they?

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

the reason they wear good, is because the rubber compound is very hard. they suck on things like rocks. imagine trying to drive with plastic tires, they arent that bad, but close.

5. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

from what i hear awsome road miles 40K+... decent in mud, like right under a TSL and suck on rocks, and i hear the radails pretty much suck at existence

they also look neat bogger cut :D

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

rootbreaker runs them and seems to like them..... I like the look of them and have been contemplating getting a set in the 40" range

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

mmm hawgs... Id run them on my camaro if they had my size :haha:

I love these things.. however on a dd im not sure.. takes a few minutes for the bias tire to round out again.... they get flat spots from sitting... like a milkshake for the first few miles....yes awesome wear on them....... my truck isnt a dd so cant tell you how many miles I will get out of them and also since my speedo is broke fat chance in me ever figuring out how many miles ill get... I can tell you that they are dayum near still new looking.... :bow:

cajun4x4 says right under a tsl.... well more like second best to a bogger...

just as good in the mud .... better in sand (my opinion as we have sugar sand and these things float right on top...) and yes not as good as swampers on the rocks... I dont do rocks....

I know 2 guys with jeeps that I have rolled with.... one of them keeps saying he is going to get a set of 32's for his jeep....

another guy.. this is going to be a long post here...
    99 dodge ram diesel... 10" lift and 35" swampers and 750lb ft torque...
    he is a hawg hater.....
    he got stuck one day.... a guy in a bronco with 38" hawgs pulled him out in 2wd.. he was like.. dayum.... so he looked at his tsl's and they were all caked up.. you know like a fat kid that likes cake..... and the guy with the hawgs..his tires were sooooo clean.....
    he then came over to help me with tearing my front axle apart.....
    he saw my hawgs and we kept working but he kept looking back at the hawgs..... so he eventually bought a set of 40" hawgs....
    I asked him how does he like them... he said.... if you would have asked me 9 months ago.. I would have told you I HATE HAWGS... but now that is all I am buying from here on out....

he has pulled out a deuce, trucks on 44's burried nasty... he said he wouldnt get the traction he needed with his tsl's.....

it is hard for him to compare the 2 since they were different size but he is now a hawg lover......

you can checkout some of my pics....
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166701

8. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

I am with root breaker here hawgs are second only to boggers in the mud, tsl who?

here are some pics to prove I am not full of ...........you know. the next guy had 38x16 tsls and I pulled him out.
    [​IMG]

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Why are the radials so bad? When my SSR's are gone, Ive been thinking about a set of radial Hawgs. The SSR's are lookin to last me ~25k. 40k on a set of cheaper tires would be awesome.

10. RootBreaker

at $310 each.. what I paid.. i dont think that is much cheaper :haha:

however the radials are made of a different material.... the bias ply use a harder compound but the radials may be softer.. thus less mileage.....

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

lol, well, the 35x14.5 SSR's, last I looked were ~300, and the hawgs were 280ish for comparable size. I dont remember what they cost when I bought em though.

From what I read it sounds like the Hawgs run undersized. How much undersize? If I were to buy a 36, I dont wanna get it home and it be a 33, and I dont wanna allow for that and buy a 38, get it home expecting a 36", and it be a true 38.

I might try to contact denman and see what they say about the rubber compound, if it is any softer or not, also see what they say about the sizes.

12. RootBreaker

my 40" hawgs are 39" on the rim they say..

16.5x9.75

however I put mine on a 12" wide rim on purpose.. to pull the height down even more.. NJ laws only allow a 38.x to pass inspection.. so on a 12" wide rim I have a measured height of 38.8 and it says that on my inspection papers :wink1:

13. Kyle Strong

Kyle Strong 1/2 ton status

40k+? Is that radial?:confused: If it's bias...:eek1:

14. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

That's on the bias tire..... I've pretty well made up my mind that the next set of shoes for my 71 p/u is gonna be a set of bias hawgs in 40/17/16.5 on 16.5 x 9.75 all it gets is mud and trails

I was browsing tires online today and somebody had them for $247 a piece. I'll try to find the link

15. Tabb

Thanks for all the feedback guys, hopefully, My jimmy won't be my DD much longer and when my old regul MT's have finnally had it, I'm goin' with the 36"Bias Hawgs.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Hawgs measure a lot smaller than they actually are. My 38.5's measured only 37" tall. The 36's won't really be 36" tall... just something to consider.

They are great tires though, and second only to a Bogger in mud... and actually better than a Bogger in some types of mud.

I could go through more mud with the Hawgs than with my 36" TSL SX's or my 35" General's... I had my own mud tire test one day in our lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Tabb

18. orangeGMC

orangeGMC 1/2 ton status

I am waiting for my 44" Hawgs to show up. When they do I will give you some measurements and photos. These will be going on my truck that sees mud and street time, so I can give mileage updates.

19. Tabb

If the Hawgs are true 36"s They will fit. I had some swamper sx's that they called 36" but were actually 35.9" besides, I dont mind cuttin' a few corners to get what I want. Know what I mean?

20. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I have a set on the front of my backhoe. no kidding. I was looking at them the other day, thinking "if these were soft, and not 100 ply sidewall, I could wheel them".. then realized what the sidewall said. They work great as steer tires on the 'Hoe, but they aint going on my truck anytime soon.