Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ground wire trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Greek, Nov 26, 2005.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

Hey im new here...been visiting the site for a while and decided to join up.

Anyway on to the question. Im missing a ground wire on my drivers side. Theres no wire in my engine bay and its making my gas and other gauges go crazy. Can someone help?

000_0017.JPG

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That missing wired connection almost looks like someone added something and used that spot for a ground, then just cut the wire when the item was removed (like lights), you can just remove that missing wire connector. The other one with the wire IIRC is the ground for the light circuit.

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Try running a ground from the back of the block to the firewall. That should ground the body as long as the battery is grounded to the motor (usually grounded to the alternator bracket).

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Usually the headlights ground there, as well as a wire to the negative battery terminal. However, the main chassis ground is supposed to be a copper braid (ground strap) from one of the cylinder heads or the block to the firewall. If this is missing or the connections are corroded, all of the body electrical stuff can get screwed up.