Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Groundhawgs...Reverse rotation, fronts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tominator II, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of reversing the direction on my front Groundhawgs. Anyone done this with these tires? I am really wondering about hwy manners . I drive the speed limit and above to trails. :D To my unscientific mind it seems like the tires will have better forward traction going reverse rotation from the arrow on the side of the tire.:rolleyes: I need real world results, not opinions . TIA
    4x6_fs_30155_018 (600 x 400).jpg

4x6_fs_30155_018 (600 x 400).jpg

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

actually the traction will be worse if you swap em around. youll have good reverse traction but not quite as much going foward. dont really know why it works that way, Im sure someone else can explain it but for some reason directional tires like boggers and tractor tires dont have very good traction when used in reverse. plus I heard they ride rougher and wear quicker.

3. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

its cause the dirt and mud just clump together in the middle cause the grooves in the tire feed it in. as opposed to running properly it feeds all the stuff outward. when you switch em backwards, what you actually doing is stuffing more crap under you tires and floating on top of the terrain and not biting into it.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

dont think there is much mud on the highway;)

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I think that's kind of the point. You don't get in quite so deep and you still have some traction left to back your ass out.

It might not be a bad idea.
    I dunno about driving on the road like that, though. Maybe swap them side-to-side when you get to the trail head.

6. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

The only reason you would do that is if your truck's for muddin' and muddin' only. Like Obijuan said, with the fronts mounted backwards, the front end will float through the mud and not dig in. If you are doing any street driving I would'nt reccomend it.

7. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input, I still might try it later just to see.

8. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

driving on pavement will be no diff with them backwards unless u hit some rain, i have 38.5 hawgs on my truck and i have ran them backwards on the front and i have also criss crossed them and the criss cross seems to work descently, u make look funny but when ur boggin and u stop ur forward momentum it will back out, nothin better than not gettin towed, then u can try it again, i have not noticed any diff driving habits by runin them like this on pavement, go for it, have seen boggers ran like this on road to. not dd of course, but to get to the wheelin spot yes