Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

groundhawgs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_tuff, Apr 10, 2004.

1. chevy_tuff

chevy_tuff Registered Member

hey i was just wondering how the groundhawgs are for chewin off road? how would u compare them to the bogger or swamper sx?

2. chevy_tuff

chevy_tuff Registered Member

no one runs em or knows how capable they are off road?

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i dont.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think I remember someone saying they suck for backing up? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Oh Z3PR where are you? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I am not really sure on how well hawgs do offroad but I imagine they will do ok. They are more of a mud tire then anything else. I personally would rather just go with the more proven Swamper of some type. There is a Swamper to fit just about any bill. This is assuming you are talking about tires over the 35" range.

Harley

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I personally like the Ground Hawg's. Granted they aren't the best in reverse in the mud, but what you wanta back up for in a muddy field for anyways ?? Hawg's are great for a all around multi-purpus tire. They'll wear like iron with normal street driving, and have the bite for off roading. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally like the Ground Hawg's. Granted they aren't the best in reverse in the mud, but what you wanta back up for in a muddy field for anyways ?? Hawg's are great for a all around multi-purpus tire. They'll wear like iron with normal street driving, and have the bite for off roading. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    he speaks from articles he's read, not 1st hand experiances /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

i love em! just like any bias let it sit a while and you get some flat spots but it makes the ride more interesting till they warm up, in the mud i can dump the ole' clutch in reverse and throw an impressive roost!!! never been stuck, but havnt really found mud that deep here in jersey...

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I've used them in the past. They definitely wear slowly and drive well in mud. I never tried backing up with them in mud though...They are noisy on the road and the bias ply I had took a few miles to warm up to get the flat spots out. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

When you guys say they last long, about how many miles?

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've HEARD a few cases where they dry rot before they wear out

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    When you guys say they last long, about how many miles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lasts long= longer than TSL's on the pavement. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I've HEARD a few cases where they dry rot before they wear out

[/ QUOTE ]

well i just bought new ones....

my old ones I bought in 1997 were to hold the truck up... but they are so dry rotten i wouldnt trust driving on them... so I bought new ones.. I have heard great stuff from them.. as my old ones next to my new ones have TONS of tread and the guy I bought them from said they had alot of miles on them. I hope to have my truck done in 2 months... so then I can test them out and post pics and movies.... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    he speaks from articles he's read, not 1st hand experiances /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]And what makes you think I've never had tires befor ??? For your info, I had Hawg's on my first K5. Those were bias ply tires. The ones in my shed are radials.