Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Group order for Can-back tops

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uberbeans, Aug 19, 2006.

1. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Please forgive if this has been discussed previously. I'm assuming this would be the correct forum.

I am interested in buying one of the Can-back tops for the Blazer and am aware of the company changing hands last December. I found out that they are just "getting up to speed" in building these for our trucks and put myself on a list to be notified when they are ready. I don't know when they will be ready but the man I talked with said that there was alot of interest in these from Blazer owners. On the list I got on it gave the option of group orders of 5 or more. I'm assuming that that will mean a discount and as the quoted price was $1200.00 any break would help. Is anyone interested? If so I would do the leg work on the order if the price reduction is worth it.

And what is the general opinion of the Can-back as compared to the other less expensive tops.

2. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Trucks, parts, stuff? In the lounge?

Oh the humanity!

$1200 seems a bit steep for a soft top.

3. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Maybe I will also post this in the garage. I wasn't quite sure of how to get the word out and this didn't seem like a maintenace question. Thanks.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The garage would be more appropriate as you would get a better response and we don't care about this type of stuff in our hallowed ground............

Also, you have to remember to read the description that appears under each forum on the main page, that will help you out a lot.

I would love to have a Can Back, but I'm not paying that much when I can go down to Harbor Freight, pick up a tarp, some duct tape and extra cans of propane and get the same thing for a whole lot cheaper:D

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't know what they need to do to "get up to speed". They used to make them, but stopped due to a lack of demand.

6. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

The guy said that the company changed hands.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

It did, and they stopped making blazer tops before they sold the company. I have a Can Back now, I love it and wouldn't mind having an extra top. In case the new owners decide to quit making them too... so, yeah, I'd be up for a group buy.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I've only seen a few can-baks and they do look very nice but I have a specialty top on my '72 and it works pretty well, I'll be getting a different color after I paint it and probably will get another specialty top since it's around 1/2 the price.

9. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Right on. I'll keep you posted via PM. Thanks.:D

10. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Is the quality worth the price they are asking?:confused: It seems very expensive. What sets it apart from the rest?

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I guess it is expensive, and I haven't seen all the other tops out there up close to do a true comparison.

The Can Back material is very, very sturdy, the frame will hold 300 pounds on top, the seams are sewn well and in 2 years there has been no deterioration in the fabric, the seams, or the windows without the addition of any UV protectant. I think it's a quality top. Fitment was never a problem.

When I was shopping around, the other tops just didn't look as tightly put together - although I only saw pics of other tops.

The fastrac top hardware doesn't look as sturdy and is more difficult to put together. I like the hardware used for the Can Back better and I like the look better. I put the Can Back together on the ground, then just picked it up and put it on the truck. The Fastrac kinda gets built on the truck as you go.

I'd get a Fastrac if I couldn't get a Can Back, for whatever reason, except for price. Price is not much of an issue with me. I kinda just get what I want. It's a girl thing. Like buying a $300 purse.:haha:

12. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Grrl's are cool. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thank you.:D

I'm going out of town tomorrow (Chicago) until Monday, in case you post up during that time and don't hear from me...

14. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

It may be a month or so because I haven't heard from them yet and don't know if they have started production yet. Plus we need three more interested people. I won't forget.