Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Groups about not conforming to groups

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 20, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I find it ironic, how I see large groups of people formed on the basis of people who don't want to conform to society; hence creating their own form of society in which they are conforming to as so-called individuals.

I'll admit, for the most part I don't really go along with alot of society... but I also admit I still am part of groups of people who share interests, such as Chevy 4x4s. But groups formed in rebellion of large groups just makes me kind of shake my head and wonder what's up with that? The things that I don't follow in mainstream society are things I stay totally individual and to myself on.

Is the rebellion against society which forms groups just a way in which these people are wanting to fit in with society?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm betting you have seen rebelious groups on MySpace? haha. Unique rebels are what we call them. Kids/People who try so hard to be different and rebelious but end up exactly the same as the next unique rebel...

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Basically, no man is an island, and birds of a feather flock together.

Simply put, man is a social animal. Just because you are "rebelling" against one thing doesn't mean you can't bond with others who harbor the same resentment. In fact, it's unnatural to be bitter and alone, unless you're a Unibomber-type, which probably means your desire to be apart from the norm is spurred on by psychosis and a heavy duty chemical imbalance......

4. mountainexplorer

Well, I tend to notice these "type" of people all over, but yeah, seeing actual "groups" formed on there just makes me wonder all the more. No matter how individualistic anyone may want to be, we will always be a part of a group or society in some way.

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anti-group groups are great! I'm in the Anti-Popped Collar Group, Appalachian State Chapter.

It's hilarious cuz it pisses the frat boys off so much.

6. mountainexplorer

I agree. I just laugh when I read or hear statements like I dont listen to what other say or I don't care about whats popular or I am my own person and don't need anyone else. I hear things like that and think in my mind like its a cry out saying they do want acceptance but dont want to admit it.

7. Can Can

Ah, the luxury of being dumb and believing your own BS. Any person who REALLY feels this way better have a lot of money, because they sure as **** ain't gonna make it in the real world, unless living in a hut in the middle of nowhere while eating squirrel stew and weaving baskets is their idea of a good time........:deal:

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

actuly canmore that is something that is always on my mind of do9ing, there is a lot of land out there to get lost on/in, only thing holding me is the family

9. mountainexplorer

I tend to be a secluded caveman up at our place up north... go there alone and hope no one bothers me. But I always come back to the city... gotta have some interaction with others I suppose. Plus the cell phone constantly rings, people wondering wher I am, when I'll be back and if I have parts.

Sometimes it gets lonely though. I keep watching the same tapes I have up there over and over again and it gets old.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah if i whent to the bush i would want a buddy with me

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

:pimp:
    :pimp:

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah i knew you whould go there

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Someone had to, sorry I just couldn't resist.

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

It gets to a point with so many people in the world, no matter what you do to rebel, there will be someone out there doing the same thing, possibly a group of people. Not to mention it will just be outdone anyway.

15. Can Can

Hey, Dave. If you woke up in the middle of the bush with a sore ass and a quarter in your hand, would you tell any one????

No?

Wanna go camping, big boy???? :rotfl: :rotfl: :doah:

16. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am a member of the anti-social club.

Nuff said

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ill go campin with you any day pauly, but i sleep armed, and who is to say i wouldent tie you up?

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, some people take their "anti" a little bit too seriously. I see a LOT of these kinds of ass clowns when I ride the "ghetto bus" in downtown portland to/from work. Most of them don't have a damn clue. They think they are "fighting the man"... little do they know they are simply being lured into the camp of an other "the man".

On the other hand, the anti mindset can be a healthy thing. When I was in the Marines, pretty much every grunt I knew either chewed, or smoked or did both. I decided I didn't wanna do either, so I didn't. When I got out and went to college... EVERYONE started drinking coffee (this is when starbucks started making a billion dollars a minute by selling a cup of coffee for $5).... somehow I fought the urge and never even started drinking coffee. Same thing with smoothies... and crispy creme donuts. Never had either, never want to start. Most fads are pointless/expensive marketing wizardry. Knowing this, I tend to not even try anything new until it isn't anymore. Saves me a lot of money... doesn't help me fit in with anyone, but I'm married so I don't really give a crap. :grin:

j

19. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

a wise man once told me, never threten a man with a good time.

take that however you will ... laff

20. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Yup.. people who feel rejected by one society tend to create their own. a good example would be the "outlaw biker gangs". in fact, they have stricter rules, and are harder on those who disobey, than mainstream society.

It's ok, as long as the bikers involved are aware of what is going on, but most bikers I've known don't like having this pointed out to them... it goes against the whole " i live my life unchained " mantra they use to defend their lifestyle choice.

everyone is sad and lost until their lives have an order, regardless of what that order is.

Tom