Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Growing garlic

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 16, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How do you grow garlic? Is it hard? What temperature do they like?
    I want to grow some garlic, but I'd probably grow them indoors under a florecent (sp?) light, since we are moving, I don't want them to have my garlic!
    So can someone give me the basics? My dad probably has a book downstairs...but I know a few of you guys must grow it.
    Thanks! My family are garlic lovers!

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Since Gilroy,CA is the garlic capital of the world I'd say that they like a hot climate.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm sure your local stoners could shed some light on the subject. ;)

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

On My Parents property it grows every where. My Grandfather planted a few back in the 60's and now that stuff is all over the place. Myself and My Brother dug up 3 pickup loads about 10 years ago just to try and get rid of it. Problem was it came back even stronger the next year. We mow, weed eat it, burn it and have even done burn outs on it with My blazer and a four wheeler, yet nothing will kill the stuff. I really should take some to the farmers market and sell it to the Hippys and tell them that it's organic and charge the hell out of it.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, those hippies at that market you always go to for your hemp clothing would really appreciate that garlic, Corey........:whistle: :D

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Funny You say that (You ****ing bark eater) The town I work in has a store called the "Hemp Connection" where you can buy all that crap. If Your really hard up for some new clothes I can get some scumbag to go in and buy You a few things if You really want.

7. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

here we go again! :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

So what started this Can/Core thing anyway?

Got him in the eye?

No prime?

Too hard on the swinging buckaroo?

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Way back in 1999 when there was only like 50 or less of Us nobody new squat so We pretty much just gave each other a hard time to pass the time. Myself and Paul just never let it go. I mostly give Him a hard time to keep Him in check so He remembers His humble beginnings as a simpleton.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

He's a brush cut dimpled little innocent isn't he?

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Do they like garlic?

Spearchucker, thanks for the tip...I'll search google to see if I can find out what temp. they use when they grow the garlic.

3 pickup loads? A truck? holy crap that is A LOT of garlic! :blush:

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

LOL

No, they are just experts at growing plants inside. ;)

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

At least I outgrew my "humble beginnings", you dumbass!!! 1987 called- it would like you to return it's haircut and wardrobe......

I really like Corey, but mostly in a "feel sorry for him" kind of way. Kind of like how you can empathize with poor Napolean Dynamite. In fact, some of Corey's neighbors call him "Napolean" behind his back.:blush:

BTW, you owe me a phone call, FOCKER!!!!! What, did you lose my number? Or do you just keep on forgetting that you have to dial "1" for long distance??? I can see it now-

Corey - "Honey, Paul must have changed his phone number because it says that the call can't be connected as dialed"

Corey's missus - "Corey, did you forget to dial "1" before the number again???"

Corey - "GAWD!!!! I hate that stupid number 1. I'm SUCH an IDIOT!!!! I'm gonna go draw another liger and chill out a bit........"

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Love ya', brother!!! :bow:

14. spearchucker

You can't blame Corey for having an 80's style, it's just that the area he lives in is about 20 yrs behind times. When Star Wars first came out it took about 2 yrs before it hit the local theatre.

15. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Never grown garlic before, but I'll give it a shot.. I would probably use two florescents because one will not be enough light. Go to home depot and get these items. You need new bulbs. The UV ones will do nicely for flowering and growing said "Garlic". :D Next get some type of planters, I would assume the long tray planters would do nicely. Then get growing medium. Vermiculite & Perlite works wonders when growing with hydroponics. If you don't want to mess with liquid chemicals you can buy potting soil with nutrients already in them. Then go to your local plant nursery and buy the small garlic plants already started. Its a pita to grow from seed. Well worth your time to spend the extra money to buys ones already started. When growing with florescents you won't have extremely big plants, so don't expect a miracle crop. When said "Garlic", is big enough, change your light cycle from 24hrs to 12hrs on and 12hrs off. This is what forces your plants to flower. It is easier to buy a light timer so your not plugging and unplugging your lights every day.. Thats it... Don't forget to water often...;) Don't ask me how I know this...:p: Oh the younger days!

If you have any questions just ask. I have a few years of experience growing "garlic"

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Check it out focker, it isn't Me who has the hair cause I ain't got much left. As a matter of fact I do still pretty much dress the same as back then :grin:

17. spearchucker

I thought that people who grow 'garlic' use sodium halide lights because the light spectrum they emit is more like natural sunlight.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't know what you guys are getting at...but I am growing GARLIC. Not anything else that you guys might be thinking about.
    My dad used to have a huge hydroponic garden here. So I have most of the stuff to set it up.
    Thanks for the info, when I get started I will ask some questions!

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ah if only my dad was still around. he has a bunch of lights, I will take some pics tomorrow or friday...maybe someone can identify them to which kind they are.

20. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i live in the burbs of chicago.
    my wife grows it in the garden, its one of those areas i cant rototil every year. she basically does nothing to it or with it except pluck some at the end of the year to dry out.
    last year it was a patch maybe 18"s round, this year its about 2'x4', why it took off i dont know.